Water softener salt alternatives for SWG systems

rarenomad

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 19, 2013
Sorry if this is a double post from my thread in the water testing results forum, but I thought it would be best to put it in a more relevant thread.

I just left Home depot, I see that JasonLion really likes the solar salt from diamond, but this and the surrounding stores dont have it (i've checked home depot, walmart, lowes, and 2 smaller hardware stores...I know that the local pool store has it but they are charging....nearly double for it) they do have diamond gems and bright and soft (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...3?N=5yc1vZaq3y)

I looked at the MSDS on both the the Diamond crystals solar salt and Bright and soft:

Bright and soft:
Ingredient Name Concentration (%)
Sodium Chloride 7647-14-5 99.97%
Sodium Hexametaphosphate 10124-56-8 0.03%

From my research the Sodium Hexa.....(Too long) helps with reducing scaling, I've also read that it does add phosphates, now...the million dollar question, is this ok to use in the pool? Any experience with these brands?

Alternately there is Crystal Gems by Diamond also, but its 5.69/40lbs whereas the Bright and soft is 4.47/40lbs

Any solar salt would be fine, whether Diamond, Morton, etc which is 100% sodium chloride.

So, I would be hesitant to add the Hexa ... one of our beliefs ... only add what the pool needs.

Where are you located? Add that to your profile please.

All the HDs I check around Atlanta claim to have the Diamond Crystals Solar in stock for $5.59:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diamond-...arse-Water-Softening-Salt-100012454/100172669

And the pool salt for $5.87:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diamond-Crystal-40-lb-Pool-Salt-100011437/100561401

I am not sure how the Sun Gems and the Solar Salt are different, they seem to have the same description. I think it is just that the Sun Gems are nuggets while the Solar salt is crystals and the pool salt is ground up even more.

Yea they have them but they are too far away to realize the savings if I used the alternatives I mentioned. Not being lazy mind you, I'm just seeing if I can use what they have in stock :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Ah, yeah I did not know what store was closest to you to check for stock. I think any of the Sun Gems or the crystals would be fine, but the Bright and Soft is questionable to me.

@Brushpup, and just to be sure, I can just let this run with the pump, nothing else (no swg yet anyway since it hasnt arrived yet)

How long do you reckon I should let it run? I have a 1hp superpump in a 24k pool

After it is all dissolved and circulated, wait at least a day before starting the SWG (which you do not have).

So just add the salt and run the pump for awhile, even if it sits in there with the pump off I don't think it would hurt any thing. I might leave the pump on while adding and brushing until it is all dissolved.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I found a nearby lowes had a pallet of the Diamond solar salt, I picked me up 15 bags so im happy not having to deal with "unknowns" or that yellow stuff possibly mucking things up

Hey bud. I got mine also. I'm debating on putting in the salt until my pool is stable. Then again I'm a newbie. Did you already slam your pool or going to try yo use the super chlorinated function on the swg? My understanding is our SI45s won't be able to get it hight enough.

Even if your SWG can reach SLAM level, it won't raise the FC level quickly enough, which is important when SLAMing. A typical SWG will not be able to reach SLAM level even under ideal conditions, but if your unit is sufficiently oversized (or the pool is indoors) it might be able to. Still, that doesn't make a SWG appropriate for use as the only chlorine source for the SLAM process. You can use a SWG to help maintain SLAM level once you have used another chlorine source to get to the correct level quickly.

The SI45s we have are rated to put 2 lbs /day an up to 45k gallons. My pool is 24k and I believe timerguys is also but I don't want to put words in his mouth

Hey bud. I got mine also. I'm debating on putting in the salt until my pool is stable. Then again I'm a newbie. Did you already slam your pool or going to try yo use the super chlorinated function on the swg? My understanding is our SI45s won't be able to get it hight enough.

Wassup with your pool? Poured 14 bags in this morning. A couple chunks still need to dissolve, but 99% dissolved in just an hour or so. Need to go pick up some concrete/brick wall anchors to hang the control box. Then wire it up and plumb in the cell and flow switch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.