Have to replace the pump and filter

amjohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2008
Rural NE Texas
Re: 1 HP 2speed pump

For a pool your size, ideally you would want a sand filter that is at least 28" diameter ... smaller would work, but require more frequent cleaning. Also since your season is short, a little smaller should be fine. I think for your season, I would be looking for at least a 24" filter.

Thanks for your answer. Actually my season is April- October with solar panels. we are in Texas. it is HOT here. I know to get the biggest sand filter I can manage. my question is about quality and durability. we actually run the pool year round and my equipment has to endure wild weather shifts and freezes- I do enclose the pool equipment with plastic in winter and run everything with a freeze timer.
also does it matter using an "in-ground" filter that will sit next to an above ground pump?
also i am leaning towards the hayward filter but the pump is a pentair pump. should i instead use all one brand to make sure everything matches up? we will hard plumb everything into our system. if I should match up brands this pump would be my choice http://www.amerimerc.com/-power+flo-matrix~SP15932S.htm

Well, your profile location states "Rural North East" ... so my assumption was that you actually had a winter with the pool shut down / drained, like in Maine or something ... no way to know that meant "in TEXAS" ... I guess some of you guys view it as your own country though right ;) :lol: just kidding with you.

There is no real such thing as a in ground vs. above ground filter ... only the pumps are different. And you can mix and match brands, they all mate to standard plumbing. I have a Pentair pump with Hayward filter.

thanks again. that helps a lot. btw-the location line wraps so the texas is on the next line. i fixed it using abbreviation. so trying to figure out why there price increases so dramatically between 20 in jumping to 22 inch? http://www.amerimerc.com/inground-sand-pool-filters~pro-series-top-mount.htm#
20 inch is $293
22 inch is $435
our plumbing is all 1.5 inch so we will be staying with that valve size.

I have been doing some googling and have discovered rave reviews on the hayward powerflow matrix 1 1/2 hp 2 spd but have found only one review so far on the pentair optiflow 1 1/2 hp 2 spd and it was from a disgruntled Amazon customer. I need more feed back before I decide. Anyone have any thoughts?

that is what i am going to do. as far as hp goes, my current Doughboy pump is labeled as 1.5 hp and barely powers my solar field. i have to run it wide open and cannot run my suction cleaner at the same time. on my 19 inch doughboy filter, my best flow rate is 30gpm and my pressure gage on a clean pool reads around 13-14psi without the solar field. i suspect the pump is highly overrated but that is what it has been since day 1 almost 6 years ago. i do not know enough about pressure tables to be dead sure about this but in looking at the hayward 24 inch sand filter, it specs at 62 gpm. Turnover Capacity 8 hour (In Gallons) 29,760 gallons
Turnover Capacity 10 hour (In Gallons) 37,200 gallons
pressure charts from hayward do not show the low speed, just the high speed. the 1 hp pump is sp1592 the 1.5 hp is sp1593. i tried to snag a 40kb picture but TFP is telling me it exceeds my allowance by 7.82 M???? so here is the link http://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/Abo...Flo-Matrix-_10201_10551_15008_-1_14017__A.htm
note: noise is not a concern. we live in the middle of a 400acre pasture and the pump is 75 feet from the house on the far side of the pool.

The filter specs are just the maximum flow rate you can put through them, it has nothing to do with your actual flow rate which mostly based on your pump and plumbing efficiency.

I can not look at the pump details you linked to right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For anyone wondering how this came out: I got Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1&1/2-HP 2-SPD Pump,
Hayward 27-Inch Sand Filter
I ordered both from Amazon for a considerable price reduction and prime shipping, but the Sand filter arrived without the valve! Picture on the box, valve listed on the packing slip, but no valve and no connecting sleeve for valve to filter body. Amazon did make it right, but it took considerable research to figure out what parts were needed (turns out I had to order the valve and connecting sleeve separately, as the sleeve should have been part of the pump package. In short, someone in the warehouse robbed the box). Anyways, all is installed and running great. Went through a fairly mild (for Texas) summer without shading (not good but we just did not get to it), and time to start thinking about winter protection. Does not over power my solar field (actually is more efficient). Still adjusting to learning how to use the two speeds, but we are all good. Thanks for all the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.