Liquid chlorine V trichlor

bof

May 17, 2013
Cyprus
Hi Everybody
I could do with some advice. I was at my chemical supplier today and purchased a drum of liquid chlorine 12%. He then advised me to use trichlor as the liquid chlorine would not be strong enough in the summer with temp around 35 C. Is trichlor better than liquid chlorine not withstanding the Cya problem :confused:

Thanks

No, he is incorrect. Remind him that TRICHLOR adds cya, and it builds up in the pool. Liquid Chlorine does not, and it is more than strong enough.

As WoodyP says, you can maintain tight control of Cya using Bleach. Then you can add CYA IF YOU NEED IT.

Trichlor adds chlorine, adds CYA, and lowers the PH. Occasionally you need all three effects and using trichlor is handy. However, most of the time you only want one or two of those effects and the remaining ones cause problems.

When you need all three effects, trichlor is "better" in some sense, the rest of the time it is "worse". In practice, it is unusual to need all three effects at the same time, and even if you do, it is simple enough to adjust each of the levels separately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.