Bubbles coming out of return

ktyler

Jun 18, 2013
Southwest Louisiana
What would cause bursts of bubbles to come out of one of my returns? I have 3 returns but it only comes out of one.
uza7e7e7.jpg
nyma6ezy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

That means air is getting into the system. If you primed the pump today, it could simply be air that is getting flushed out of the system. But if the system was primed before today it usually means air continues to get in.

The most common causes for air getting into the system include a low water level allowing a vortex to form in the skimmer that draws in air, the pump strainer basket lid not sealing correctly, or a suction side air leak.

Thank you Jason, it has done this since the pool was installed last September. My pool builder told me it was gas caused by the swg. We have had a lot of problems and I'm trying to figure them all out and see how it's all connected. If I had a leak in a pipe somewhere could that cause air to get into the system? I'm loosing water in the pool. I've kept my water level pretty high since the pool leaks somewhere, I am afraid to keep it at normal levels with a constant leak so I always keep it filled above normal. We have cleaned the strainer basket quite regularly and even after putting the lid back on we still have the bubbles. So it looks like I'm looking at a suction side air leak then.

SWG systems do produce bubbles, but they are normally far far smaller then the ones in your picture. The SWG theory, however unlikely, is easy to test. If the bubbles are coming from the SWG, there won't be any bubbles if the SWG is off. Bubbles when the SWG is off must be coming from somewhere else.

A suction side air leak (while the pump is on) can also be a water leak when the pump is off, which fits your description fairly well.

No. That is on the pressure side of your system and will not let air in........it would be leaking water very noticeably but not air. Suction leaks are sometimes very hard to find and if you are not a DIY person, I would suggest you call a pool service to locate it for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool is still under warranty with my builder. I was just trying to figure something out on my own until he comes back. We have had nothing but problems since it was finished in September and just slowly trying to piece together all of the problems and see how they are connected. He said he will find it and fix it I'm just getting impatient so have been trying to figure it all out on my own. Thank you for the help.

Kim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.