Pool Pilot Digital installation

Jun 28, 2008
Hiyas,

Considering buying a SWG and very pleased I found this site. After reading a bunch here and elsewhere, I think I have decided on the Pool Pilot Digital which I found online for about 980 bucks (for the sc-48).

Before I pull the trigger though I wanted to ask a couple questions.

I read the install manual and it suggested that I could power the unit by simply running it off my intermatic timer leads that run to the pump. This would mean that the power to the unit would cycle off completely when the pump does correct? Is it ok that the SWG will cycle power on and off once a day? Guy at my local pool store (leslies) said that would not be good for the unit - but I dunno and he seemed a bit dense.

Secondly the manual does not say how much pipe I would need to cut out to fit in the manifold (for the sc-48). How much do I cut out and how snug is the fit? I am relatively handy, but I am no plumber. I have 1-1/2 inch pipes also - do I have to buy any special adapters? If so how much is this gonna throw off my pipe space calcs?

Lastly, it seems pretty straight forward if only power if off the pump circuit in my timer, mount the unit on the pool wall, and cut out and install the manifold.

Am I missing anything, because this seems like a pretty manageable job?

Thanks for any help you may be able to give me,

poolnub

Welcome to TFP!

The manifold needs 11 3/4" of clear 2" pipe. You will need to add a couple of inches on either side to fit the adapters to 1 1/2" pipe. In some cases you can get around that by replacing an elbow with a 2" elbow and doing the reduction after the elbow.

The AutoPilot units are fine with being turned on and off by a timer. If you are getting the Digital model you could also remove the timer and use the AutoPilot as your timer.

The install is really easy if you have enough space. Mount the main unit, plumb the manifold, and a little wiring. When there isn't enough space, installing the manifold can sometimes get tricky.

No, not transparent. I meant that there can't be any fittings, elbows, valves, or other pipes pushing right up against it.

There is a short install guide that comes with the manifold, but I have never seen it at their web site. Basically the manifold needs to either be on a horizontal pipe with the manifold loop straight up, or on a vertical pipe with the water flowing down. All connections are standard 2" PVC fittings designed to connect to pipe.

texaspoolnewb

I did the exact same install on my pool about 1 month ago, plumbing and electric was simple, I hooked it up to my timer, because in my opinon it is easier to adjust my pool run time, maybe because that is what i am used too.

I just returned from vacation, 10 days, couldn't help but think while i was gone was i coming back to a green pool, NOPE, when I got back water was crystal clear, and FC was at 5, I had my pump cycling twice daily for 4 hours. Pool was covered with a solar cover.

Auto Pilot Rocks :rockon:

Is there a problem with mounting the manifold upside down (meaning the cell and tri-sensor loop below the manifold base)? YES. It is not recommended because there's a potential to backflow hydrogen gases under circumstances.
You can install the manifold sideways if needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.