Please suggest new pump options

jayjayaz

Oct 25, 2012
Southern CA
Calling on all subject matter experts-

We want to replace the1 HP Whisperflow with a more efficient and quieter pump. We have a 12,000 gallon in ground pool in S. California. The only other feature is a solar system located on my roof next to the pool. The pump is connected to 2" pipes. We're leaning towards a two speed vs. a variable speed due to price; what are pros and cons and what size is optimal? Please note which is quieter as well.

Thank you very much, this is important to us, as we spend much of the swim season in the pool!

Jerry

Cheapest would be to put a 2 speed motor on your existing pump. Very quiet on low, but likely should use high for solar.

Or if you want smaller, my 1hp Superflo 2 speed runs my solar just fine.

Cheapest would be to put a 2 speed motor on your existing pump. Very quiet on low, but likely should use high for solar.

Or if you want smaller, my 1hp Superflo 2 speed runs my solar just fine.

Forgive my question, but I really lack knowledge in this area, could the new 1hp Superflo 2 speed use low for solar? My pump is close to the pool and the solar system, hence the desire for a quiet pump.

Thank you,

Solar heating works best at high flow rates, so best to use high speed. You will need to prime the panels in high speed everyday, but might be able to then run on low, just not heat as well. If you are considering trying to run solar on low, then stick with the larger Whisperflo and put a 2 speed motor on it.

Solar heating works best at high flow rates, so best to use high speed. You will need to prime the panels in high speed everyday, but might be able to then run on low, just not heat as well. If you are considering trying to run solar on low, then stick with the larger Whisperflo and put a 2 speed motor on it.

Another question, my whisperflo is old and should be replaced, as such what size 2 speed would you recommend given my set-up and needs?
Thanks again-

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.