Need Pump and Filter Help

Mar 12, 2014
Stockton, CA
Hello, this is my first post.

We just bought a house with a much larger pool then we currently have, and the previous owners were nice enough to remove the existing pump and filter and take it with them. So, we need a new setup! We really want to be as energy conscious as possible. I also have no issues with doing the install myself.

The pool is 30,000 gallons, concrete, IG. it seems to have only two pipes coming out of the ground, although there is a valve near the pool. I have not tested to see what is fed where. I was thinking on using air pressure to test. The pool has 2 skimmers and one drain and 3 supplies. It does have 220 power. Pool was probably installed in the late 1970's.

Thanks!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Are there any timers or anything left? What is your electrical cost? I am guess it is high, so likely a VS pump makes sense. I would look at the smaller VS pumps (assuming you get a rebate) like the Hayward SuperPump VS or Maxflo VS or the Pentair Superflo VS ... it does not sound like you would need the larger VS pumps for any high flow rate needs.

As far as filters, generally the bigger the better. Based on a 30k pool size and likely never closing the pool, I would suggest at least:
400 sqft cartridge / 32" sand / 72 sqft DE

I am surprised you only see 2 pipes. I would expect at least 2 for the skimmers plus one return pipe ... unless the have the suction lines daisy chained with the floor going to one skimmer and then from that skimmer to the other and then from that to the pump.

thanks for the comment.

nothing left.. but the PVC coming out of ground! Electricity here is about $.133.

Although there are only two pipes, I think there is a "junction box" in the concrete where a valve is located. I don't have a way to test what happens when the valve is moved (if I can) or I will have to dig up and reroute to another location.

naw... we bought the house as is, a full renovation project, it is what I do... I have been focused on the rebuilding of the house, but it is time to get the pool working! The previous owner had leased the house, and the tenant was not happy to have to leave, so they took a few souvenirs with them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.