My pool test results

rarenomad

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 19, 2013
Hey guys, pool newbie here, been reading up alot in pool school, anyhow...

I just received my lovely T100 test kit, man its pretty impressive!

Anyhow, I decided to do some tests, mind you, not all of them, just did the PH, CYA, salt and Chlorine ones.

The tests came back....interesting...

PH is 7.5 (i used the kit in the blue box)
CYA - ZERO...I filled it slowly, all the way to the brim and it was crystal clear
Chlorine - ZERO - I used the speedstir and the Chlorine only test tube with the little metal pill inside, i put the dose of powder, it was clear....
Salt - <200ppm

I did pull water from about up to my elbow (as the box said to pull water from about a foot under the waterline).

The pool appears to be crystal clear, except on the deep end, I havent uncovered it yet, so it was too hard to see. Temp outside is about 65 F

So...according to poolmath, I need to add the following to my 24k pool:

1. 1 gallon 2 quarts 1 cup or 2.1 (96 oz) jugs of liquid chlorine
2. 1 gallon 3 quarts 3 cups of stabilizer
3. about 16 bags of salt

Any other thoughts?

When just opening for the spring you expect FC to be zero, so that is reasonable. CYA being zero happens sometimes, and is occasionally associated with a very high startup chlorine demand, which hopefully won't be the case for you.

Do you have a SWG? Or is the salt just for water feel?

I would raise CYA to 30 to start and raise FC to about 5 to start, give it at little while and see where you end up before adding the rest of the chemicals.

When just opening for the spring you expect FC to be zero, so that is reasonable. CYA being zero happens sometimes, and is occasionally associated with a very high startup chlorine demand, which hopefully won't be the case for you.

Do you have a SWG? Or is the salt just for water feel?

I would raise CYA to 30 to start and raise FC to about 5 to start, give it at little while and see where you end up before adding the rest of the chemicals.

Gotcha, I will be getting my SWG next week. Ok, I'll use the poolmath calculator and plut in 30 as a goal as you suggested.

One other thing, before putting in any chlorine or stabilizer, I should mention that I am getting a new pump also, should be here before the SWG is in place. When you say a very high startup chlorine demand, does that mean I have to add chlorine in ADDITION to having the SWG set to superchlorinate? My SWG is rated to produce 2 pounds of chlorine. Would I be mistaken then?

When you are starting up your pool, it is always best to keep the SWG off, and dose with liquid chlorine/bleach. This will help you get a better idea of how much chlorine your pool is actually using, and will also help extend the life of your SWG.

You will want all of your chemicals balanced before relying on the SWG. SWG's are great at maintaining a balance of FC once the FC is at target. If something is growing in the pool then most SWG's can not get ahead of the organics and kill it off. It's always best to bump up with bleach when needed as it gives a high dose right away instead of slowly adding chlorine during the day.

If you had CYA at closing and have not had a lot of water dilution from snow or rain over the winter you may want to double check your CYA test. Did you run the pump at least 1/2 an hour before testing?

We've had some snow and quite a bit of rain. I tested it twice same result. I did not run my pump as the temp tonight will be below freezing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you can find it locally pretty easy. Walmart and Hardware stores sell it in 4 lb. canisters. Look in the Pool/Section in or near the garden section there and Big Box hardware stores. Little hardware stores have in their pool section as well usually.

You are the best!! found it cheaper at walmart.com and local pick up is available

http://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Salt-Pool-Saltwater-Stabilizer-6.5-lb/34752155

6.5lbs for 20$

Side question, i just left Home depot, I see that Jason really likes the solar salt from diamond, but this and the surrounding stores dont have it (i've also checked walmart, lowes) they do have diamond gems and bright and soft (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbrande...Salt-Pellets-100012420/100614653?N=5yc1vZaq3y)

I looked at the MSDS on both the the Diamond crystals solar salt and Bright and soft:

Bright and soft:
Ingredient Name Concentration (%)
Sodium Chloride 7647-14-5 99.97%
Sodium Hexametaphosphate 10124-56-8 0.03%

From my research the Sodium Hexa.....(Too long) helps with reducing scaling, I've also read that it does add phosphates, now...the million dollar question, is this ok to use in the pool?

Alternately there is Crystal Gems by Diamond also, but its 5.69/40lbs whereas the Bright and soft is 4.47/40lbs

If you had CYA at closing and have not had a lot of water dilution from snow or rain over the winter you may want to double check your CYA test. Did you run the pump at least 1/2 an hour before testing?

Hey zea,

We have had some snow and rain this past winter, my water line is actually above the top two screws of my skimmer box (its rectangular). I de-winterized all the equipment today and much to my surprise I received my new pump and swg. So tomorrow I'm going to install my new pump and let it run. I did a test run with the existing system and it all looked pretty good. The pump is making ALOT of noise though... http://youtu.be/4Q57Oy0E0Cc

(btw, I bought this house after they had treated and closed the pool). I put in a new skimmer basket and backwashed my sand filter. Using my new pressure gauge (from tftestkits.com :)) its showing 11-12 psi. I backwashed twice and its stayed the same.

Anyhow, I bought everything I need to setup the new pump, SWG, two 128 oz of 8% walmart bleach, and 15lbs of stabilzer. I am going to follow Jason's recommendation to raise my CYA to 30 and my FC to 5 but I have so...stupid questions:

1. I have Poly-quat 60 algecide, should I use it?
2. In what order should I use the bleach and or the stabilizer? Should I dose with the bleach first, how long do I wait to put in the stabilizer?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, i'm on board the TFTP method, in fact, if this works, i'll commit to a lifetime pledge to the site lol (least I can do for all the help you guys have given me!)

Should I put the chlorine tonight (though I figured it would make more sense to have the new pump installed prior to doing this)?

That cheaper salt is fine. Don't worry about phosphates. I don't. I've never even had mine tested, and my pool hasn't been cloudy or green since I took over. We recommend balancing the pool chemistry using bleach before adding salt and turning on the SWG. Do a search for "Diamond Day" (using the quotes) if you want some fun.

Save the poly 60 for closing next year. A properly maintained pool won't need it. Add the bleach right now. The CYA takes several days to dissolve, and you can't wait for that. Pour the CYA granules in a sock or nylon and tie it off hanging in front of a return, or dangling off a floating toy. Don't just pour it in the skimmer, and don't expect it to dissolve in a bucket of hot water, and don't just scatter it across the surface or you may end up with freckles on the bottom of the pool.

@richard, ok, thanks for the advice, i'm thinking I should install the new pump first no before I pour the chlorine in? The pump i have now is on its way out from the sound of it. To avoid further chlorine loss, shoudl I wait till evening to put the bleach in? I think i have a floating dispenser, but I like the nylone idea, I have a broken screen that I can make into a "bag" and tie it near the return.

I havent cleaned the pool yet with the skimmer and brush, should i do that first or let the chlorine do its magic?

@richard, ok, thanks for the advice, i'm thinking I should install the new pump first no before I pour the chlorine in? The pump i have now is on its way out from the sound of it. To avoid further chlorine loss, shoudl I wait till evening to put the bleach in? I think i have a floating dispenser, but I like the nylone idea, I have a broken screen that I can make into a "bag" and tie it near the return.

I havent cleaned the pool yet with the skimmer and brush, should i do that first or let the chlorine do its magic?
If you have circulation, add the chlorine. Until the CYA gets dissolved, you're going to lose a lot of it to the sun. But you'll lose a whole lot more if the water warms up any and algae gets started, so don't delay.

I don't know about using a screen. Seems like a lot of work. Almost everyone can produce an old gym sock that's lost its mate, or a pair of pantyhose that has a huge run on one leg. Hint: use the leg without the run.

You should be brushing anyway and scooping out any debris. That exposes any algae and gets stuff off the walls and into circulation so the filter can grab it.

Hey Richard,

UPDATE: I installed my new superflow (and fried the switch due to being a non-electrician-trying-to-be-one)...need to have that replaced) and its running full speed. I dumped 242 oz of 8% bleach. The CYA is dissolving as we speak, I didnt put it in a sock nor panty hose as you recommended, I just was pressed for time (i have a 2yr old that I was also chasing). I used my new net skimmer (per a recommendation here on the forums) and grabbed as much stuff I could get. I also used a brush and brushed as much also.

Here is the pool just after taking off the cover:

Bottom of the pool:

Installed my new superflow...fried the switch on the pump but easy to replace. Its humming at full speed now:

After cleaning the pool with a brush:

Here are those nasty steps from before... they are pearly white!

- - - Updated - - -

I put some of the CYA into the chlorine dispenser that runs inline to the returns. But ultimately I just broadcast the granules all in the deepend evenly. A few hours later, I used my brush to help move them around, i couldnt see the floor but I could tell that alot of the granules are dissolving.

I was planning on testing my water (chlroine) tomorrow. Is that too soon? I was going to wait on testing the CYA for a couple of days, I understood that it can take up to a week for it to show accurately. suggestions?

Thanks again guys for all the great help!!!

UPDATE: OH ****...I just realized that I dumped not what I calculated in poolmath (to get my CYA to 30 takes 101oz of stabilzer)....yea..I dumped 13lbs...or 208oz of the stuff...according to poolmath this will jack up the CYA to 62....

AND

I did not put 251 oz of liquid bleach, I put...242oz...that based on poolmath will increase the FC to 6.2

oh god, did I royally shoot the pooch?

Anything within 10% is totally fine, so the bleach is nothing to worry about at all.

The doubled CYA is a little more troublesome, but isn't going to be a serious problem. Mostly you are just going to need to maintain higher FC levels going forward due to the higher CYA level. I am a little more worried about adding CYA by putting directly in the pool. That can mark up, or potentially even damage, the pool surface. The odds are than nothing happened, but since you can't see the bottom it is a little worrisome. CYA should be added by putting in a sock and putting the sock in the skimmer (yes a regular sock).

@jason:

Thanks for the response, may I ask what FC level you suggest moving forward? I read the CYA/chlorine chart and it shows 7. So I would need to add a little more bleach tomorrow...assuming I dont have algae thats sucking in all the chlorine.

The pool is vinyl, in fact its a brand new liner installed back in aug/sept of last year. I dont want to damage the vinyl, would it help if I go every 8 hours and brush the bottom to keep things stirred up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.