Spa leak?

Feb 12, 2014
Coppell, TX
I think I have a leak in my spa, hoping somone can help me figure out what is going on. I have a inground pool spa combo with a waterfall from the spa to the pool which runs during regular pool operations. In addition, I have an autofill valve as well. Over the past two months, I noticed my water bill was significantly higher, so I did some testing. First, I ran the pool/spa as normal, but turned off the autofill valve. I was loosing about 1 inch over a 24 hour period. Bingo-That was the reason for the high water bill. Now I think I have a leak somewhere the pool. To test this theory, I turned off the waterfall feature and ran the pool as usual. Over about 2 days I may have lost about 1/4" of water from the pool. Good news-pool seems to have no leak. However, with the waterfall turned off over that period of time, the spa drained down to just about pool level. I thought maybe there was a leak in the lines that run the jets in the spa, so dug up several areas, but no signs of a leak. Where is the water going? Does the spa have a leak in the drain? I have scheduled a leak detection service to come out next Friday. They want $425 to do the leak detection, so hoping someone on this forum can help me figure it out before I have them come out.

It's common for the spa to leak down to the level of the pool. A bad check valve will allow that to happen.

Is there anyway to isolate the spa from the pool completely (with valves maybe)? If you can shut off all inlets and outlets between the two you can tell what's leaking.

Usually when a spa is shut off and the water seeks the same level as the pool, you have a bad check valve on the spa. Do you have any check valves on the spa? It's usually on the water fall/overflow pipe for the spa return.

Now that doesn't address the actual loss of water but only explains the spa draining down to the pool level when the pump is off.

If the spa is leaking back into the pool, there could still be a leak in the pool. With the water draining out of the spa and into the pool, the pool is actually losing more water than the 1/4" you are seeing because the spa water is filling up the pool. I would put off the leak detection company until you check out the valves on the spa and run out of suggestions that we can offer.

I have two valves for the spa, 1 on the spa suction line (it is turned OFF) and another on the waterfall. I turned it OFF as well. This is the same line that has the check valve, so I assume that with both these valves off, I have isolated the spa (including the check valve) from the pool, correct? If so I am going to monitor both the spa and pool levels for the next 24 hours and see what happens. In addition, I am going to open up the spa suction valve and make sure nothing is wrong with it.

OK, after approx. 24 hours, pool is maintaining constant level and spa has drained down, not completely, but continues to gradually drain down. One thought I had was to completely drain the spa and watch the pool level. This would rule out one of those valves leaking back into the pool and the pool having the leak. Someone suggested it might be leaking around the spa light. Thoughts?

Keep the spa isolated and let it drain until it stops. Then wherever it stops, somewhere at that level is your leak. If it stops just below your return jets, then inspect them. Same with the light.

Thanks for help! Will do, I did a similar test the other day and it got down past the jets before I filled it up again, but will let it keep going this time. Hopefully, it's the light and not the drain. I don't see any visible cracks, etc in the spa walls.

My spa finally drained down and leveled off around the spa light. I went ahead and drained the rest of the spa down, pulled the light, and hopefully found the problem. The silicone that was applied where the wire was coming through the conduit was completely deteriorate. However, I did find a crack (mostly hairline, up to 1/32 in a couple of spots) in the the spa wall . What should I fill the crack with? Epoxy or other? Keep in mind the spa is completely drained and dry. Any help is greatly appreciated

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.