Aeriating to raise Ph

edge

Mar 10, 2014
Douglas, GA
I have been trying to get my pool balanced out but have made some missteps due to misreading of samples. I do not have a good text kit. I have a 3-way basic Chlorine, PH, TA test. Currently My ph has dropped to about 6.8. I have directed my returns to break the surface of the water in hopes it will bring it back up while I'm at work today. I've read that 7 hours of aeration will result in .2 raise in PH. However, I'm not completely aerating nearly as much as if I put a air pump creating bubbles in the water. Should I add borax to bring the PH back up?

We need a bit more information to make a solid recommendation (and you should really get a good test kit to get real numbers otherwise everything is a guessing game).

What kind of surface is your pool?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The PH test only goes down to 6.8. It will read any PH lower than 6.8 as if it was 6.8. So you actual PH might be much lower.

Also, there is no fixed relationship between time aerating and how much the PH moves. It varies rather dramatically with the amount of aeration (which is difficult to quantify) and with your current TA level.

I understand. I will be buying a better test kit today when I get home. heck i might just do it now since I have an office job. The pools surface is Vinyl. The test kit DOES only go down to 6.8 per the test vial and markings however the water color matched the 6.8 reading. DO you mean that no matter how much lower than 6.8 it may actually be, my kit and testing equipment will not visually show the PH test water to be any lighter than the 6.8 reads. What I'm saying is, the kit only reads down to 6.8 but if it were lower I could noticeably see the water is even lighter than the 6.8 reading couldn't I?

Anyhow, Should I raise it with Borax if i need to in the mean time to be safe.

I have ordered the Taylor K-2006, should have it by Monday.

The color stops changing when the PH gets to about 6.75, and it simply remains at that color no matter how low the PH.

Yes, I would raise the PH to at least 7.0 with borax right away, and then you can take your time after that. PH below 6.8 can damage vinyl. PH close to 6.8 takes quite a while before there is any damage, but really low PH can cause damage quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You used 23K gallons and a 100 for TA (default level for pool math) correct? If it were me, I would take it slow and shoot for no more than 7.4, but in small amounts as Jason mentions. Once you are really close, give it a little extra time, retest, then add more if needed.

I have already ordered. I noticed the TF100 had more but I already have the one kit so maybe that will help me stretch the Taylor kit further. I got it for $54.99 Shipped off E-Bay. I wanted to order from TFT Kits but honestly I'm trying to break the bank with this pool. I've already wasted so much out of ignorance and getting pool stored. I knew there had to be a better way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.