Help with dark stains! For new pool owner

berk97

Mar 12, 2014
south florida
Hello Everyone!

I hope someone can help me with my staining problem in my pool. Some background info on the pool. I took over a algae infested dirty pool in November 2013(new homer owner, yea!) and have been trying to clean it and balance the water ever since. The water is currently balance, the water is clear and the pump is running good. However these stains did not appear until after I cleaned out the algae and shocked the pool a month or 2 back.

I was told it might be copper stains(because of the algaeside used) so last week I used Stain-Free from Natural Chemistry to remove the stains but it did absolutely nothing.

The stain does not budge when I brush it or vacuum.

I included a picture so you can see for yourself. So anyone can help me that would be great! Thanks for your time!:)

Attachments

• IMG_20140312_074728_328.jpg
    IMG_20140312_074728_328.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 106
Welcome to the forum!

Can you post a full set of test results, plus put all of your pool/equipment info in your signature? We'll be able to help, but we need a bit more info.

My gut reaction from looking at the picture is that it's scaling (plaster inground pool, right?). How are you chlorinating it?

Thanks for the quick reply! I am still a novice and am still learning about my equipment. I guess I should have someone educate me about my equipment too?
From what I know, it is a 12,000 gal 28 x 14 rectangle shaped pool. Heyward pump with a cartridge filter. 3 intakes skimmer, vacuum and main drain.
I believe it is a cement pool since it is white and the texture is rough. I am currently just shocking the pool every week with a 2 gallon jug of chlorine from pinch a penny since we are not currently swimming in it.
The water is balanced since I just had the pool tested on Sunday. PH was 7.2 from what I remember.

I hoping to have the pool up and running next month so we can start using it. Thank for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure how old the pool is. Also, I am just using a standard brush... I didn't know there where different types to use.

Couple more questions...

Do the areas that are stained feel more raised/rough than the rest of the pool?

Have you always used bleach, or have you/previous owner ever used any dry forms of chlorine?

Can you get us a reading of CH and TA? Better yet, can you get a full set of recent test results?

How are you testing the pool? Your own kit, or a pool store?

Small, round, black? Possibly black algae. See if you can get some off with your fingernail and try to crush it on white paper (business card). If the inside is green and slimy, it is BA.

About those brushes, here's the scoop:

Nylon is for vinyl, fiberglass, tile, and plaster that is less than one year. (Plaster includes any exposed aggregate and marcite finish, btw!) Combo brushes are for older plaster. All stainless are for algae (very stubborn green algae and also the ONLY brush for black algae.)

You CAN unscrew the Wall Whale from the nylon brush it comes with and screw it on a combo brush if your plaster is over a year old. Newer plaster is really too soft for anyting other than a nylon brush.

If you do not have one of the recommended test kits, you should get one. It will put you in charge of your pool. Period. The fav kit around here is the TF100. Best bang for the buck and A-1 service. Link in my sig.

Thanks for the information about the pool brushes. I had my water test by a pool store but I will need to post this information later tonight or tomorrow.
Black Algae huh? I didn't think of that.
I only have been using the liquid chlorine from the pool store only.
I just recently bought the Poolmaster 22270 Premier Deluxe 5-Way Test Basic Kit. Hopefully that is a good one.
I will update this post tomorrow with the information. Thanks!

Total chlorine and free chlorine were 0 but a shocked it a couple times with the jugs or chlorine.
pH is 7.4
Total alkalinity 100 ppm
Calcium hardness 300 ppm
Stabilizer 60 ppm
Total dissolved solids 2.728

I am going to try to scrap some of it off. Also I will use a chlorine tablet directly on the walls to see if some of it comes off.
It should come out if it is black algae right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry, that is not what we define as a good test kit ... these are the Recommended Test Kits.

Hard to say what the stains are. Could be black algae (I lean away from this). Could be calcium scaling. Could be metal staining. Could be a combination of calcium scaling and metal staining.

We also do not "shock" pools. You always need to maintain adequate FC that is a function of your CYA. See the FC/CYA Chart.

Also read up in Pool School some while you are waiting for the good test kit you are going to order ;). Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

So did you scrape some off and smear it on a white piece of paper (as suggested by Butterfly) to see if it's black algae? Did you try seeing if an area of the dark got lighter under a Trichlor puck indicating that it is an organic stain? I don't understand how these tests cost money.

I think copper can be confirmed by the Vitamin C test (wait for someone else to confirm before you try it).

However, even though your test results don't back it up, it looks like scale. There have been other members of the forum that get calcium scaling in their pool and instead of building up as white crystallization, it ends up being black.

In two of your above posts you said you "shocked" the pool. What product, specifically, did you put in the pool and how much? Based on leftover chemicals or empty containers, can you tell what the previous owner used to chlorinate the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.