Question about installation of Tile trim on steps in Peeblesheen pool

Hi all

After several months we are nearing the end of our pool renovation ordeal... I mean... project. The only things left to do is install fittings, lights, step trim tile & pebble sheen.

I was under the impression the tile would be installed first & grouted by what I was told months ago. Now I'm out of town for work & they are telling my husband they are going to install the step tile band the day they shoot the pebble sheen?

Does this make sense? I would think they would need to wait at least a day after they tiled & grouted the tile on the steps before they pebbled.

Any advice appreciated!
Thank you in advance!

Our pool was built in dec. and had pebble sheen installed. The pebble sheen installers put in the step trim the same day as they put in the pebble sheen. Looks great. No problems so far! We used 2x2 tiles for the step trim tiles. I also don't understand what you mean by grouted. What they will do is put mortar on the tile to bond it to the gunite wait a while and then put down the pebble sheen. Hope this helped.

Well when first described to me, I was told they mortared down the tile to the steps (we are using a double band of one inch tiles). They said they would grout them with grout like the waterline tile because sometimes the pebble did not fill the spaces easily between tiles.

We're renovating and have going to have step tiles, too, ours are 2". Our PB told me the plasterers install the step tiles, to prevent them from getting messed up in the intervening time between waterline tile (early on) and plaster (dead last). We aren't getting PT, so don't know about the grouting in there, sorry! Our waterline tile has gray grout, which I think really might have actually been mortar - it went on so quick I don't think they waited for mortar to set up much and for a different grout to go on. It looks good, luckily. Our plaster will be gray, too, so they might do the same there - we're still limping along so it's still down the road a bit. If you have a reno thread I'd love to see your project!

Thanks Mia! Hubby did call the builder today & confirmed that they do indeed mortar down the step tiles & grout them before peeble finish is applied. I was told they do it this was since it's hard to shoot the peeble into the small lines between the tile since it is two bands of small 1x1 tiles. They told hubs this Am that they thought they were installing spotter tiles every so many feet apart. If that was the case the peeble guys would do it the same day. Otherwise the tile guys do it if it's a band of tile.

And yes I'll post a Reno thread with pix once we finish. I will need to figure out hoe to post pix etc. but figured I might actually finish it if I did it all at once!

Ps been following your thread too since you had an older pool too. We've had those crazy weather delays too. I was hoping to see your deck & pool finish soon! We are doing PeebleSheen in Turtle Bay! I'm so disappointed it's all happening now that my work season is the busiest! :(

More soon! Good luck on your pool too!
Barb

Is there ever an issue with the grout giving way before the life of the pebble? We want to use 1"x1"' tile - I can see how a single 2"x2" with no grout wouldn't present a problem, but I just do not want to run into future issues. Has anyone had any experience with this? I see grout cracking all the time on floors. I can't see how draining the pool to a level low enough to re-grout is optimal.....

Sorry to hijack your thread... just didn't want to start a new one when we are running into the same issue!

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.