Using tons of titrating solution

Mar 22, 2008
I have been shocking for 5 days now and going through TONS of the titrating solution, I'm afraid I will have to make another trip to Leslie's since my TF-100 refill won't be here until Tuesday.

Is there anyway to use less? Can I put in 5ml and count each drop and 1ppm? Or how would it work?

Are you talking about the FAS/DPD titrating reagent? If so, are you performing the test using a 10 ml sample, in which case each drop represents 0.5 ppm? I always test this way. There really isn't much of a point to test to 0.2 ppm accuracy and you save lots of reagent that way.

Honestly, you may have to wait for Dave's refill to arrive. I know that neither of the Leslie's by my house even carry that reagent and when I asked them about it, they had no idea what I was even talking about. But, if you have placed the order already, it shouldn't take very long. Dave really gets his kits and stuff out there to you quickly.

Well my question was if I use a 5ml sample would that make each reagent drop worth 1ppm instead of .5? I am trying to use even less, currently everytime I test I am using 30 drops.

I ran out of TF-100 reagent on Wed, went to Leslie's commercial store and got some and almost out again.

What do I do if I run out? I can't stock shocking till this is gone. I guess just dump in a bunch of chlorine constantly.

Yes, you can use a 5 ml sample and each drop will represent 1 ppm FC. Since you are really just roughly estimating a high FC level you could use dilution with the OTO test -- diluting 1 part pool water with 9 parts filtered or distilled water which should read around 3 ppm FC on the OTO test. Though this isn't accurate, it will tell you the ballpark of having somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-40 ppm FC which is OK. However, it sounds like the 5 ml sample size with FAS-DPD will work for you.

Is your water clearing up?

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.