LED Pool light not working a week or so after photocell installed

Al3x

Mar 11, 2014
Arizona
I have an Intellibright 5G LED pool light (http://www.pentairpool.com/products...color-changing-led-pool-and-spa-lights-74.htm) that is less than a year old and I had my friend (licensed electrician) install a photocell (this one http://www.homedepot.com/p/Red-Dot-1-2-in-300-Watt-Photocell-with-Conceal-Mount-C652/204193195) and also a by-pass switch and everything was working fine, but then a week or so later it stopped.

The photocell was acting sort of funny because it is on the side of my house, which has some shade, causing the pool light to turn on/off every few minutes at some points.

I was going to have him switch everything back and then call the pool company (Shasta) and make them fix it, but I'm curious if I can just leave the photocell and still have them fix it. I searched all 4 manuals posted on the manufacturer's webpage and I haven't seen anything that says I can't install a photocell by a licensed electrician.

Thoughts on what I should do or does anybody have any experience with these lights failing when used with a photocell?

Mine is wired to a photocell, then the lighting relay (Easytouch), then the 12 VAC transformer, then the two lamps.

No issues

Photocells in my experience can not take direct sunlight, they burn out. I would suspect your photocell first.

Mine is wired to a photocell, then the lighting relay (Easytouch), then the 12 VAC transformer, then the two lamps.

No issues

Photocells in my experience can not take direct sunlight, they burn out. I would suspect your photocell first.

It's a brand new photocell that doesn't receive direct sunlight and I have a bypass switch setup too. So I normally have the bypass switch turned off, and the photocell will provide power or not, but when I flip switch, it flows through either one.

I don't see how a photo-cell could hurt the intellibrite, second most likely failure is a bad connection, wire pulled out of a wire nut...

Need to check out the system with a voltmeter...

The intellibrite 5g fixtures are not compatible with triac (electronic) switching, as I found out. If your photocell doesn't contain a relay, I wouldn't use it. If it said something like 'for use with incandescent lights only' in the photocell instructions this would be a hint that it isn't suitable for what you are trying to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.