Deck boards are pushing on railing on AGP.

Jun 4, 2013
Minnesota
We bought a house with an AGP and decking pre-existing. Some of the deck boards are either warped or bending and pushing up on the rail of the pool. On the other side of the pool the decking goes over the top of the pool rails. Needless to say... the pool or deck or both are not level, or leveled together.

Here is my question. Would it be acceptable to cut away the deck boards all around the circumference of the pool maybe 4-5-6 inches so there is a gap between the end of the deck boards and the pool top rail. I could always add a toe kick or bumper of some sort later on...

Not to mention we have to replace our liner this year and how would I get to the rail if its covered with bent/bending deck boards. I believe when the deck was installed they should have left a space or a hinged edge of some sort? Right??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Remodeling deck for better access to pool top rail, suggestions needed

Post split from Filling the gap between top rail and deck
I realize your posts are old but... I am running into the same issue. We bought a house with an above ground pool and decking. Problem is the pool or the decking is not level and the deck boards are in some spots below the pool rail and in some spots above the pool railing. I want to cut the deck boards short of the pool railing and install a sort of kickboard or bumper around the entire pool, also we currently have no way to access certain parts of the pool railing or even if we needed to replace the liner, which we will be doing this summer. My initial plan was to leave a 4-5-6 inch gap between the end of the deck boards and the beginning of the pool rail...?? Any suggestions? Comments? Please!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.