Looking for Deck Ideas

Floater

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2008
Southwest OH
Hey All,
We're going to start our deck up this week. I'm wondering if some of you wouldn't mind posting pics of your deck build. I know we will end up with probably a three tier deck at some point, but starting with the top deck that will be level with the pool (actually just underside of the top rail).

Not only interested in the support system (we are basically doing a rectangle 12' x 12') but what landscaping you did underneath, etc.

You worked hard...show it off!

Thanks a bunch

Hi Floater~ :wave:

I will only get jealous if too many people post pics! :mrgreen: I always look for ways to improve my pool.

So I guess I'll start.
The pool deck it attached to the porch which is attached to the house. I added my collection of river rock around the pool.

Walking around pool... I have tiger lilies and baby lilacs by the deck.

On porch looking at pool...

You know I can't get away without showing my crystal clear water!!! :mrgreen:

Love it!

Walk out door...turn...jog...take a flying leap and Wallah...refreshment time. Very nice pool and landscape. Exactly what I'm counting on. You have no reason to be jealous, you have done yourself and family justice :goodjob:

GazzMan said:
http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll82/GazzMan9/?start=0

the deck build starts on page 3.....start to finnish 85 sq m

tell me what ya think dude :-D

a few more pics here as well
http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll82 ... %20garden/

Wow, that is a large deck. Great pics of the process. Love the set up. Lots of room and that pool is crystal clear too. This "dudette" :mrgreen: likes it! When are you going to start on mine? :-D

CaOCl2 said:
The "Homeowner Showcase" section of http://www.deckplans.com is good.

Thanks CaOCl2... I have been to that website and we've printed of pics. That is where I got my first ideas. We actually were going to use the deck blocks too, but too many people told me not to go with it. We're going to sink the posts instead.

I will eventually post my before and afters when we get going.

I was also looking into deck-blocks too. But I found out that even though the deck-blocks are sold in our city, they are not approved for use when building decks. I found out they weren't approved in some of the other neighboring city's as well. After it was all said and done I've got a WAY overbuilt deck that an elephant can stand on....I couldn't be happier that I went with the construction that I did.

my-above-ground-pool-t3413.html

I wish I had pictures of the construction phase :(

good luck!

dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I built mine with the deck blocks, (even won deck of the month over there 8) ) it is solid as a rock, NO movement what so ever, but I am in the country (no city approval was needed) so be sure and check with your city.

CaOCl2 said:
Floater said:
but too many people told me not to go with it. We're going to sink the posts instead.

I'd be curious to know why, I just started mine based on one of the plans there, so far so good, but maybe there's something I haven't thought of.

Thanks,

The people that I talked to said "they could eventually sink." This was even told to me by the people that sold them. I can't say that they will? I see too many people using them without any problems. We just decided to go with the ol post holes in the ground w/cement as that is what hubby wants to do. It looks like it would have cost us more to go with the blocks? We'll see how it turns out.

gonefishin said:
I was also looking into deck-blocks too. But I found out that even though the deck-blocks are sold in our city, they are not approved for use when building decks. I found out they weren't approved in some of the other neighboring city's as well. After it was all said and done I've got a WAY overbuilt deck that an elephant can stand on....I couldn't be happier that I went with the construction that I did.
my-above-ground-pool-t3413.html
I wish I had pictures of the construction phase :
good luck!
dan

Really nice pool and deck Dan :goodjob: We are using the composite too. We sell it at our work. I so love not having all the maintenance issues. Thanks for the post.

Floater said:
GazzMan said:
http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll82/GazzMan9/?start=0

the deck build starts on page 3.....start to finnish 85 sq m

tell me what ya think dude :-D

a few more pics here as well
http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll82 ... %20garden/

Wow, that is a large deck. Great pics of the process. Love the set up. Lots of room and that pool is crystal clear too. This "dudette" :mrgreen: likes it! When are you going to start on mine? :-D

how much is the flight to you from the uk dudette lol

Poolidiot said:
I built mine with the deck blocks, (even won deck of the month over there 8) ) it is solid as a rock, NO movement what so ever, but I am in the country (no city approval was needed) so be sure and check with your city.

Super, so where are the pics? Love to see that deck of the month!

Floater said:
Poolidiot said:

Super, so where are the pics? Love to see that deck of the month!

They are in the "gallery" section on deckplans.com, look under Texdeck. It has been a few years and do not have the pics on my computer any more. I think I won deck of the month because no one else turned in :shock:

poolidiot, that is a VERY nice deck :goodjob: . You should have won deck of the year! You ought to be proud that was one heck of a build. Your deck that is level with the pool is what we're going to start with and then add levels after that as we go.

Thanks for the post

Floater said:
poolidiot, Your deck that is level with the pool is what we're going to start with and then add levels after that as we go.

Thanks for the post

Floater, Just some friendly advice, The deck boards on mine are run side ways with the pool, If I had to do it over again I would run the boards where the ends butt up to the pool. Good luck with your build, and gotta see pics when done 8)

Thanks for the advice. We decided we are going to run into the pool instead of along side. I was wondering if what we had originally decided was a good choice. Just for reason, why do you suggest doing that? What kind of troub did you run into :?:

Floater said:
Thanks for the advice. We decided we are going to run into the pool instead of along side. I was wondering if what we had originally decided was a good choice. Just for reason, why do you suggest doing that? What kind of troub did you run into :?:

The only "trouble" was taking the boards and cutting the curve in the length of the board and then working your way around the pool you end up with a few really short boards. Goos luck with your build

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.