Looking for Deck Ideas

Poolidiot said:
Floater said:
Thanks for the advice. We decided we are going to run into the pool instead of along side. I was wondering if what we had originally decided was a good choice. Just for reason, why do you suggest doing that? What kind of troub did you run into :?:

The only "trouble" was taking the boards and cutting the curve in the length of the board and then working your way around the pool you end up with a few really short boards. Goos luck with your build

if you lay the boards at 45 degrees ya wont get that prob 8)

In my opinion it is easier to run the deck boards radiating out from the pool and under the top rail versus parallel to the pool. When you radiate the deck boards and place them under the top rail, you only have to cut curves on the boards that butt up to the vertical supports, slide the rest of the deck boards under the top rail, and cut the other end of the deck boards to the proper length. I also have been told that the deck blocks could sink depending how much the ground underneath the blocks was disturbed during pool installation. When using deck blocks, you will probably need more posts (and deck blocks) than if you were to use the traditional method of cementing posts in the ground. A pressure treated Southern Pine 2 x 8 rim joist can span up to 12' 10" without a post (local code may lesson the span). I prefer not to span over eight feet without support. We built our deck using all PT wood, 4"x6" posts, 2"x8" joists and beam, 5/4 deck boards, quick setting post cement, and galvanized hardware. I hope I don't sound like a "know it all" because I am just telling what works for me when I build a deck of any kind, whether it is ours or for a friend. Later, Calvin.

Thanks crazycalvin... When you've done it.. you know it. No worry about sounding "smug." This is why I started this thread so I can get dif views and options. I love the deck you did. We have already purchased exactly everything you used. We were going with the 4x4 posts originally, but liked the look and support of the 4x6. We also went from the recommended 2x6 to 2x8 joists and of course all the appropriate hardware for treated wood.

We were going to have this project done by the 4th, but unfortunately, one of our garage doors decided to take a dump and we had to buy two new roll up doors and have taken a couple of days install on those. The previous owner of the house had backed into the center support on the garage and had cave it in slightly so we had to rebuild the whole front to be correct.

But as soon as hubby gets a rest, on with the post hole digging :whip: :mrgreen:

Here are some pics of our AG pool and deck, which we built ourselves. We just completed this last week and we are very proud of it! :)

july08002.jpg

july08004.jpg

july08006.jpg

july08011.jpg

This is a picture of the deck we built for our spa. The first deck was the original that came with the house, we just shortened the steps on it and then built the rest from there.
Misc012.jpg

:)

Beautiful Deck! Nice handywork :goodjob: I really like the way it sits on the block wall in the back. Lots of thinking went into that. Very roomy too. I someday will hope to have one that goes all the way around like the splash deck (easier to clean the pool on the colder days). Right now I have to drag a chair with me and stand on it. Luckily with the weather we've had lately, I can clean from the inside :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing!

Lowe's website has a good build a deck program in the projects area.
Includes pool inserts, levels and many features.
Very nice for getting ideas and seeing what they will look like finished.
Also fun to play around making different decks and dreaming.
I hope to someday have a deck around my pool.

You have a beautiful deck Beanie. We are wanting something similiar. We have a partially buried AG. I know this is a stupid question, but we are stumped on what to do with the pool equipment and skimmer. I see you have some sort of plastic cover in an opening on the deck for the skimmer. When you open that, is that just the skimmer that is attached to the pool under it? Also, where is your pump and filter? When our pool was installed, the installer told us the equipment could not be any further away from where he put it. It is an eyesore where it is at! Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but was just wondering. Here is a pic of mine. We have a lot of work to do. We are still trying to decide on if we want to do a deck, patio pavers, or maybe even concrete around it somehow.

Pool
[/url][/img]

Grr8ful said:
Lowe's website has a good build a deck program in the projects area.
Includes pool inserts, levels and many features.
Very nice for getting ideas and seeing what they will look like finished.
Also fun to play around making different decks and dreaming.
I hope to someday have a deck around my pool.

Appreciate the advice! We have finally started the deck just this past weekend. Hopefully will be up before my son's 14th birthday this Saturday. Pics to follow

Re: Looking for Deck Ideas...Finally started

Okay, heare are some pics. How much fun to DIY :-D

We saw the weather we were going to have this weekend and made sure we started then. I think our pool dropped 7 degrees so far from the cool nights we've been having. I didn't enjoy leaving for work this morning and glancing back at the pool and seeing all the steam rise off of it :shock:

But anyway, good weather to work in instead of play in.[attachment=2:28sncif8]Posts up.jpg[/attachment:28sncif8][attachment=1:28sncif8]Getting Closer.jpg[/attachment:28sncif8][attachment=0:28sncif8]Setting to see how it will look.jpg[/attachment:28sncif8]

Attachments

• Posts up.jpg
    Posts up.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 368
  • Getting Closer.jpg
    Getting Closer.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 368
  • Setting to see how it will look.jpg
    Setting to see how it will look.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 368
marf, I see no reason you can't move the pump farther from the pool. As long as the pump itself is below the pool water line there should be no problem. I have my pump and filter 25' from the pool and have no problems. I ran 2" PVC underground to the pump.
Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just helpin' out.

Adam

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
marf said:
You have a beautiful deck Beanie. We are wanting something similiar. We have a partially buried AG. I know this is a stupid question, but we are stumped on what to do with the pool equipment and skimmer. I see you have some sort of plastic cover in an opening on the deck for the skimmer. When you open that, is that just the skimmer that is attached to the pool under it? Also, where is your pump and filter? When our pool was installed, the installer told us the equipment could not be any further away from where he put it. It is an eyesore where it is at! Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but was just wondering. Here is a pic of mine. We have a lot of work to do. We are still trying to decide on if we want to do a deck, patio pavers, or maybe even concrete around it somehow.

Pool
[/url][/img]

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I have been in NH for a few weeks! Yes, our skimmer is attached to the pool underneath the deck. My husband built the deck around it and then we put a clear piece of plexiglass over the skimmer on top of the deck so that no one would trip or fall and step on it. It comes out very easy and is just a safety issue.
As for our filter, here is a picture so you can see what we did. I can't explain it as well as a picture, so here you go...DH made it so that the hoses could fit properly underneath and we only had to expose what is necessary. We can remove those criss cross panels anytime, as they are only held on with a couple of screws. We took the hose that we backwash with and ran it underneath all the way to the other side so that we don't have to move anything when we backwash. No one can see it and the only time you would notice is if we are backwashing...then you can see the water running over the retaining wall. Does that all make sense? LOL
Anyway, here is the picture:
july08014.jpg

I hope that helps a little! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.