advice needed for removing mesh cover

Oct 16, 2009
Hello everyone! This last fall we bought a mesh cover for the first time. We have always just left it uncovered, but I got tired of getting out all leaves and **** in the spring. The problem i am having is that there is now about 6 inches of water on top of the mesh cover, along with all the leaves and junk it caught. I was under the impression that the water was supposed to flow through it????? How do I go about getting the cover off? Do I just use the net to get the leaves out then just try to pull the cover off? here is a pic of what it looks like.

thanks for the help!

When people say mesh cover, they usually mean a safety cover. A mesh safety cover has brass anchors in the deck and is kept tight over the pool by straps with springs. I think that they make a non-safe mesh cover for above ground pools, but I have never seen one for an in-ground pool.

You can use a deep leaf net to scoop out the leaves and other debris. Then pump off the water.

Ok, I didn't know that they made that. Without the straps to keep it tight, you will get some water buildup. I would pull the cover snug, scoop off the leaves with a net and then begin pumping off the water. As the water level drops, keep pulling the cover snug (not tight). Once most of the water is off you can pull one side of the cover over the pool while holding the other side. Then pull the whole thing off.

I'm not sure how dense the mesh is, but you might be able to pull the cover off without pumping any water.You can try that if you think it would work ok. But, that would allow more green algae water into the pool.

A pump might not work if the mesh is looser because water from under the cover would just keep seeping through.

The best way to proceed will depend on how tight or loose the mesh is.

Good advice James W. :goodjob:

Do get all the leaves you can before you remove it. When you are ready to open, I'm betting you'll need to SLAM the pool. Let us know how it looks when you open and we can help you with that if you need it. Good Luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.