Need a new pump - How are Waterway's?

macgus

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2012
Found out my 1 hp Hayward Super Pump needs to be replaced. My dealer's trying to talk me into getting a 3/4hp Waterway Champion. Told me that it would move more water than the Hayward I had (1-1/2" piping). Pool is 16 x 32. The Waterway is about half the cost of the Hayward...anyone have any experience with Waterway pumps?

thanks!

I am sure you can search and find some review on Waterway pumps. I think there are a few members that have them.

Realize that in general the more water you move, the higher the electrical cost to do it. So, I would not necessarily think that moving more water is always a good thing.

Is he trying to sell you a new motor or a whole new pump? I would suggest just replacing the motor of you existing pump with a 2-speed motor. No reason to go with a bigger pump.

Thanks for the input....whole new pump. Didn't think about replacing just the motor...will have to tear it apart and see what exactly the problem is. The old pump is probably 12 yrs. + old, I figured it didn't owe me anything. Dealer is trying to sell me a pump that is smaller - 3/4 hp, but moves more water than the super pump. Apparently the dealer is of the opinion that the 2 speed and vs pumps are all hype. Says that the amount of water moved by the lower rpm's will require running the motor longer and the cost would be a wash....

Well, that dealer clearly is not very knowledgeable ...

A 2-speed pumps will move about 1/2 the amount of water on low as on high speed. It will use about 1/4 the amount on power on low speed as on high speed. So, if you ran on low for twice as long as on high, you would move the same amount of water, BUT, would save 50% of the electrical cost by running on low speed. These are not opinions, these are facts.

A VS pump can save even more by running at lower RPMs (often 1000 is the most efficient) than what the 2-speed on low (1725 rpm), but unless you electrical cost is more than about $0.20 / kWh the added upfront cost of a VS pump over a 2-speed pump does not make sense in the long run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.