AquaPure 1400 runtime adjustements...

Sep 12, 2013
Simi Valley, CA
Hi,

We finally put salt into our recently completed 27K gal IG... The pool is controlled via Aqualink RS8 and has Aquapure 1400 SWG. The SWG is set to run @ 25%. Based on my understanding, that means the SWG is on 25% of the pump runtime. So, in my case, with the pump running for 10hrs/day, the SWG is on about 2.5hrs...

This weekend, we decided to heat the pool... this process takes about 24-30 hrs... Is there a way to set the auqalink/aquapure to automatically adjust to lower runtime? If aquapure stays at 25%, i'm going to get 6 hrs of chlorine generation in 24 hrs, compared to the normal 2.5hr... the way I managed this, was to set the swg to 10% before starting heating the pool, then setting it back to 25% once I turned the heater off... there's got to be a better way of doing this... any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm not sure how if there is anyway to automatically reduce the on time other than the way you did it.

The problem that I could see happening is that the pool will use a lot more chlorine once the water is warm and you are using the pool. Based on your pool size and run times, the SWG was producing .57 ppm of chlorine a day with the 10hrs/25% setting. You will need a lot more chlorine now than what was being used up when the water was cool.

Thanks for the reply... a couple of follow up questions...

What does chlorine usage have to do w/ water being warmer? I know UV impact chlorine decentigration, but what does temp have to do w/ that?
How did you calculate the .57 ppm number?

Thanks!

The aquapure will make 1.25 lbs or 20 oz of chlorine in 24 hours at 100% output. I used the PoolMath calculator and inserted your 27k gallons for the pool size and at the bottom of the calculator there is a section called effects of adding chemicals, I put in 20 oz of chlorine gas into the adding space. The answer was 5.5 ppm of FC will be generated for your pool size. I took your 10 hours of run time and divided that by 24 which = .4166 and multiplied that by 5.5 which = 2.29. I then multiplied 2.29 by .25, the SWG % output, to give a total of .57 ppm.

Think about winter and how the chlorine demand is reduced compared to the summer. Reaction times speed up with warmer water and organics grow faster with the warm water and thus you need more chlorine to keep things from growing and reproducing. I'll let the chemistry experts describe it in better detail if needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.