Cant remove top of sand filter

Jan 25, 2011
Boonville, Indiana
My sand will be on its 7th season this year when we open the pool. I believe I would like to change the sand before we open the pool. Problem number one is the composite wrench that came with the pentair sand filter broke last spring when I wanted to open the top and check the sand. Does anyone make a more durable wrench or where do I get a new one? 2nd, what sand do you suggest I use to refill the filter. Thanks

I googled pentair sand filter wrench and got several results with varying prices and materials. Since they did not all look the same I did not post the link here. Try the google search for the specific model filter you have and see if the results show your old wrench.

You may not need to change the sand in the filter. If it is not filtering like it should it may be clumped or channeled. You can deep clean and re-seat the sand fairly easily once you get the top off the filter. To clean the sand, turn off the valves to and from the sand filter and drain the water from the filter. Then open up the top and gently work a running water hose down into the sand, being careful not to break or disturb the laterals down under the sand. Allow the water to flush out the dirt and debris and repeat, moving the hose to another section of the filter until the whole filter has been flushed. Make sure the filter is full of water before putting the top back on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.