nightswimming

Jun 12, 2009
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Please allow I am a 1st time poster and not versed in proper rules I'm sure.
My pump is 4.5 years old and had motor replaced a year ago. It seems to be working fine (2hp single sp pentair) I want a more efficient unit with programable timer for dummies.
It is my understanding the var. speed is more expensive and I'm ok with that if it meets my needs. My kw/r is 12 cents give or take and I run all year but only swim during summer with no heater or h tub. These last few mo.s (Tx) have been costly with sub freezing temp.s for days at a time $$$$$. Is the VS pump worth the xtra or is a two speed gonna do it?

Welcome, 2 speed will likely be fine, in fact you can most likely retrofit yours with a 2 speed motor and external timer / switch to control it. (some 2 speed motors have a switch on the end of the cover, some require an external switch to change speeds). For mechanical timers we usually suggest intermatic brand timers.

Ike

p.s. what sort of features?

Many thanks Ike. We have 2 small waterfalls and 1 small bubbler. Your suggestions are well received. Replacing the motor only was not considered. My next chore will be acquiring a reputable tech to do the work. The market here presents limited options. And why my PB did not suggest a 2 speed is questionable, although it appears they did a good job with no prob.s to date. Thanks again.

East Tx. Thanks Ike, my intentions are to polish my profile etc. and utilize this forum. My knowledge vs money spent building/maintaining the pool is inversely proportional at this time. I hope to improve on this.

We all started with limited knowledge and built it up over time. I agree with Issac that a two-speed motor would be the way to go. Some places (such as my local Pinch-A-Penny) will allow you to bring your motor end in and will swap it over for a nominal fee, when you bring the replacement motor, or replace it free if you purchase the motor from them.
Depends on your skill level and what you're comfortable with.
At $0.12 a KWH the 2-speed makes the most sense. Use low when your just running the skimmer and no water features, high when you want the full shabang!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.