Test results - confused and bewildered newbie!

Sep 17, 2013
DFW metroplex
So I've ordered my TFT Test kit, hoping it will be here soon but in the mean time I'm using the one Mr. PB gave us. We are completely lost and even more confused after reading pool school - going to keep reading to try to get a clue. Obviously we are feeling like we are not people who should own a pool at this point, since we are continually adding chemicals based on the test results we are getting. I thought I was doing something wrong and I took a sample to the pool store (I know, I know but I wanted to see how off my results were from theirs). They were exactly the same.

So with the test kit they gave us the results are:
Chlorine - 3.0
PH - 8.2
Alkalinity - 150

So based on the PB instructions to work the alkalinity issue first, we added a gallon of muriatic acid.

I'll test it again tomorrow and see where we stand. The PB had me buy acid, shock and stabilizer when we filled it to have on hand, but I would love to get away from using this stuff so back to reading pool school! Any suggestions?

Good job on ordering the test kit. I anxious to see where your CYA level is. Do you know how much shock you added to the pool ? How much stabilizer did you add ? Maybe we can get a feel for where your CYA level is. What form of chlorine are you currently using ?
When your kit comes post a full set of results.

So I've ordered my TFT Test kit, hoping it will be here soon but in the mean time I'm using the one Mr. PB gave us. We are completely lost and even more confused after reading pool school - going to keep reading to try to get a clue. Obviously we are feeling like we are not people who should own a pool at this point, since we are continually adding chemicals based on the test results we are getting. I thought I was doing something wrong and I took a sample to the pool store (I know, I know but I wanted to see how off my results were from theirs). They were exactly the same.

So with the test kit they gave us the results are:
Chlorine - 3.0
PH - 8.2
Alkalinity - 150

So based on the PB instructions to work the alkalinity issue first, we added a gallon of muriatic acid.

I'll test it again tomorrow and see where we stand. The PB had me buy acid, shock and stabilizer when we filled it to have on hand, but I would love to get away from using this stuff so back to reading pool school! Any suggestions?
With a fresh fill and fresh plaster, you will be adding chemicals a lot for the first few months. Sort of like a new baby - you have to endure the rotten times first, before they start getting fun. Luckily, the pool matures a lot faster.

Total Alkalinity is the last thing you worry about. The TA test results are really only useful for calculating the acid dose to lower pH and/or to check the CSI. A full gallon of acid might have lowered the pH too much. The good news is that your pH might have been higher than 8.2 since that's the end of the scale and anything above looks like that, in which case maybe you didn't overdose things on acid. Sadly, the only way to know is by testing it.

If neither you nor the PB has added stabilizer yet, you need to do so. Otherwise the sun will zap all your chlorine within hours. Until you get some test results for that, it's hard to say how much to add and what level FC you should be aiming for. Has any been added? Did the pool store test CYA for you?

Once you get your test kit, take your time and run all the tests. Watch the videos if need be. http://www.youtube.com/user/TF100TestKit Wipe the tip of the R-009 dropper off with a damp paper towel between drops for the first couple tests, in case the new bottle has static electricity, so you get good test results. With a full set of believable results, it should be a piece of cake to figure out what you need to add and how much. Post the results in this thread and you'll get plenty of guidance. Once you startdoing, it will gel and make sense. Probably within a week. By Summer, it will be as routine as making coffee. Really. Pool chemistry is pretty simple if you have a decent test kit.

SWCG Pool has been in for a little over a month. I added two lbs of shock on Friday and a gallon on muriatic acid today after retesting. They added one container of stabilizer right after the pool start up, but haven't added any since.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Richard! Appreciate the help!

Do you know what kind of "shock" you added, was it dry, if so was it Cal-Hypo or Dichlor? Also how big of container of stabilizer was added. CYA degrades VERY SLOWLY as in a few percent per year, so can generally only be removed by water replacement, so whatever they added most of it is still in the water.

Do you know what kind of "shock" you added, was it dry, if so was it Cal-Hypo or Dichlor? Also how big of container of stabilizer was added. CYA degrades VERY SLOWLY as in a few percent per year, so can generally only be removed by water replacement, so whatever they added most of it is still in the water.

The shock was dry, was Hypo Cal. I don't know how much stabilizer the PB added. I do know he also added a bottle of "purple stuff" - he left the empty one and told me I would need more.

Am I in trouble?
Quite the opposite......very close to on the money.

What's your pH according to the TF-100? That may need some adjustment.

It would be simplest if you used only bleach for now to chlorinate until you fire up your SWG.

You'll need to bring your CYA up a bit, too, but more like fine-tuning instead of being way-off

Get over there in pool School, read "The ABC's of Pool water chemistry" and you'll discover you have done quite well and off to a flying start:goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Patrick, I am clueless, just lucky! Hate messing with that acid to be totally honest. I'm reading pool school everyday, chemistry is not my forte so it's a big learning curve for me. At this point, I actually don't mind the brushing and skimming aspect, kind of therapeutic for me but the testing and figuring out what to do based on the test results is a bit daunting. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I know I will get it but...feeling a little overwhelmed.

Try not to be, it really isn't hard, and you will see that clearly before you know it. You'll look back and think "I can't believe I thought this was hard."

Trust me, that day will come, no matter how far away it seems right now. Plus, you know we are all here to help. No worries!

I ran another set of tests - partly to continue learning but also wanted to do it before the rain tomorrow, since I've read rain can cause issues. I know I need to add acid but the question is should I do it now or wait until after the rain is over?

FC - 3ppm
CC- 0
PH - 8.2
TC - 3 ppm
TA - 110
CYA -,80

Any suggestions?

Your FC is below your min for a SWG at 80 ppm of CYA. You should be at 4 ppm at the min. You can add the acid before it rains. Rain has very very little effect on water chemistry, unless you have runoff into the pool. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.