Ecotech EZ Variable Speed Replacement Motor

Mar 9, 2014
San Diego, CA
New guy here.

I just ordered an Ecotech EZ VS motor/controller to replace my single speed Emerson 1081 EB843. This is a Pentair WhisperFlo pump WFE-8 (circa 1997). I will replace the seals in the pump when I upgrade the motor.

Anyone have experience with the motor? Search turned up only five hits, so seems this is an uncommon replacement.

For $400, I'm hoping to recoup my costs quickly in energy savings. I'm in CA where Tier 4 rates are ~$0.35/kWh.

I've had my Ecotech motor installed and running for about a month. No issues with installation and programming was simple, but very flexible. About two weeks ago, I noticed that the pump sounded louder. It sounded like something was stuck in the impeller and clicking with the speed of the pump (kind of like the old baseball card stuck in the bicycle wheel spokes when you were a kid). I decided to take it back apart. I expected to see some tough piece of palm wood or something.

Instead, I found a piece of metal stuck between the diffuser and impeller. It is non-metallic and gold colored, like brass. Does anyone know where this came from? I've no idea how it got through the pump catch basket. The smaller piece was on the ground under the pump after I hosed out the pump body.

2014-04-13%2009.33.47_zpsxunet8op.jpg

2014-04-13%2009.34.07_zpspx6ljqyl.jpg

2014-04-13%2009.34.51_zpspppoq6kv.jpg

Did you check the seals when you went back into the pump?

Yes, all pump seals are good and there are no leaks. I can only assume this metal came into the pump through the suction side some how. I don't know of any valve, fitting, or seal in between the pool and the pump that has metal. It must have gotten sucked up by the vacuum.

There seems to be no damage to the pump, so I guess I'll just watch for any additional pieces.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.