New AGP, need advice on pump and filter!

Mar 8, 2014
Indiana
I'm new to pools and have been researching until my brain hurts! We want to install a 27' Radiant Metric pool above ground. I'm trying to figure out the best sized pump and filter. I think 1 hp, 2 speed pump is what I need, but I can't seem to find many to meet these requirements. Any recommendations? I also think I want to go with a cartridge filter, I think a 250? Any recommendation for the right sized filter?

I would just go with one of the combos offered by Hayward or Pentair. They are a pretty good value and are usually sized properly. Just go with the largest filter offered paired with the smallest pump in the combo. If going with a cartridge filter:

Pentair - PNCC0200OP2160

Although, the pump is a 2 HP SPL rated two speed pump, it is actually the same "size" as a 1.5 HP up rated pump which is actually the same "size" as a 1 HP full rated pump. Also, keep in mind that AGP pumps are rated differently than IG pumps so HP rating is not very accurate. This is one of the reasons, it is not a good idea to size a pump by just it's HP rating. It can lead you astray.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

There is nothing wrong with a combo ... IF the filter and pump are sized appropriately. Note that Mark said to find the biggest filter with the smallest pump ... most combos are not likely what we would recommend.

I think many people fall into the same trap with AG combos. They see a large 2 HP pump with a moderately sized filter and assume it is over-sized when in reality it isn't that bad for the reasons that mentioned. You just need to be aware of what you are getting. For a typical AG pool, the combo I mentioned would deliver a little over 50 GPM and if you go by the APSP-15 residential specifications, that would require at least a 145 sq-ft filter so a 200 sq-ft filter is fine for that pump.

Both Hayward and Pentair seem to size their combos appropriately just based upon the spec but they are at the upper limit of pump size and lower limit of filter size so it doesn't hurt to go larger with the filter or smaller with the pump if possible. It's just that with the combos, you don't have a lot of choice. However, even if you want a smaller pump, you could always just downsize the impeller which doesn't cost much to do. You would just need to price it out both ways.

It does seem more cost effective to go with the combo, but you are right it is throwing me for a loop with the 2 hp pump after all of the reading on this site as I was all set for a 1 hp 2 speed pump (Hayward SP15922S). But I am nervous about choosing the correct cartridge filter that is compatible with this pump - I think all cartridge filters are the same regardless of IG or AG pool, right? So many decision.....

The Hayward SP15922S is a fine pump and will deliver about 50 GPM on AG plumbing which means you would want a filter about 150 sq-ft or larger. Given you are open only 3-4 months per year, that is probably all you need so that you don't have to clean it more than once a season.

The Hayward CC1500 is a 150 sq-ft filter but it comes with a slightly larger pump. It would only increase the flow rate to about 53 GPM so a 150 sq-ft filter is still ok.

With Pentair, you have a couple of options both of which use an Optiflo pump which is also a good pump.

PNCC0175OF1160 - 150 sq-ft filter and a 1 1/2 HP up rated pump
PNCC0200OP2160 - 200 sq-ft filter and a 2 HP SPL rated pump (exactly the same as the 1 1/2 HP up rated pump)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.