Adding Winter Chlorine

dreon

Jun 18, 2013
Merged thread with "raising chlorine without a pump" thread. To avoid confusion please do not start a second thread on the same topic. Zea3
I live in a cold climate and my pool is winterized. the ice is melting off my cover and I just looked under the cover, water is clear. I tested my chlorine and the levels are only 0.8. How do I add chlorine if there is no circulation? my husband suggested using our sump pump that we use to remove the water off our cover.

21k inground pool
thanks

Moved from Announcement forum to Just Getting Started. Brushpup.

Last edited by a moderator:
adding winter chlorine

What is your water temp ? Algae has a hard time forming in cold water temps. Not to say that it can't happen.
If your water temp is really cold I would think you would be ok till you open. Just make sure you get things going before the water temp hits 60.

Re: adding winter chlorine

A covered (opaque cover) and winterized pool should not need chlorine added. All you usually need to do is open the pool before the water gets much above 50 degrees and you will be fine.

If you have a mesh cover, adding some chlorine is a good idea.

Reactions: vbertone
raising chlorine without a pump

just melted the last of the ice off my cover this week but we wont be able to open for another 4-6 wks. tested the water and my chlorine is less than 1. water is clear.
how do you add chlorine without a pump to circulate? My husband suggested throwing in our sump pump that we use for removing the water off our cover?

thanks a bunch for the reply. My cover is opaque. My thermometer is in the back of our pool shed and it was too cold to search for. The water temp is only estimated by my hand to be in the mid 30s. I am jealous about the other posters who are in the 80s!! We thought we were in a heat wave today as the outside temp hit 50. sorry if I double posted this forum.

Re: raising chlorine without a pump

I use a canoe paddle, but that's for a hot tub -- a submersible pump would sure be a lot less work.

If you can walk around the pool I imagine that diluting the chlorine a lot and distributing it around the pool would help too. When I'm adding ~6 oz of bleach to my hot tub I typically add it to a bucket with a few gallons of water and "pour it all around"...

It's a lot of work but you can brush the pool too. The pump won't move a lot of water but will help a good deal. If it were mine, I would agitate it as much as possible by brushing or doing something similar.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

As far as circulating the chlorine without a pump, it's pretty much what the others have said. In fact, here's a thread from a user who was without power for over a week in 90-100+°F temperatures. Kept their pool clean by manually circulating and swimming to churn and circulate the water. User was diligent in maintaining the proper chlorine level. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/47053-Newbie-trying-to-avoid-a-problem!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.