Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why is my pump making a noise?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why is my pump making a noise?

My pump is quite noisy at the moment. It has made this noise before but I just reprimed the pump and the noise went away. Thats not working this time. The pump and sand filter is new this season and has been working great - still is - just noisy.

Can anyone help?
    Oval 18'x12' Quick Up Pool. 16" Sandfilter. FSP400 3/4hp pump. Duratech3 heat exchange pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why is my pump making a noise?

The pump may be vibrating against something. When you put pressure on it with your hand and push it down a little, or over a little, does it still do that?
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for responding Anna. I was so desparate (the shop wanted me to shock the pool for a week or two while I returned the pump and they repaired it!) I unhooked the pump from the rest of the equipment and kept rinsing it through with the hose. I did notice some sand coming out. It is now hooked up and running quietly. However, it might have been ok if I had done as you suggested also. If it happens again I will test it in the manner you suggest before I start unhooking everything.

Thanks for the tip.
    Oval 18'x12' Quick Up Pool. 16" Sandfilter. FSP400 3/4hp pump. Duratech3 heat exchange pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm glad you got it working quietly again.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.