I Need a New Pump

jimmcg29

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2009
Lower West Michigan
I live in Michigan and use the pool for 3 to 4 months a year. I have a 20x40 pool with about 36,000 gallons of water. I am in need of a new pump. Are the energy savings of a variable speed pump worth the extra cost? If I only use it for such a short time each year should I even be concerned about the energy efficiency? I am more concerned about the finances rather than saving the planet. Are there other advantages of the more expensive pumps I should be looking for? I don’t like wasting money but if I have the pump for a long time a couple hundred bucks probably doesn’t make much of a difference if I get some value.

It really depends on your electric rates. High electric rates, say $0.40/kWh make it very easy to justify a variable speed pump, while lower rates, say $0.10/kWh argue for a two speed pump. Generally the cross over, where they both cost about the same over the life of the pump, is around $0.15 or $0.20/kWh (more if you have a short pool season).

Someone asked this in another thread and it wasn't really answered.

You need to look at your marginal costs of electricity. Marginal basically means additional (edge really). Where I live the price for electricity goes up as you use more. To figure out how much a pump will cost, you need to look at the cost of your last kWh, because that's the price you will pay or save at as your usages changes. In most places, this will be your most expensive price, especially in the summer months. So, look at bill for the summer months when you'll be running the pump (and maybe A/C). Look at the costs for your last kWh and use that as your electricity price for making this decision. Don't look at your average price or winter price. That's probably lower.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.