Umbrella Holders?

Blueskies21

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2011
Middle TN
So I've seen where people make umbrella holders to put into the deck while it's being poured. Seems like a common solution to that is DIY pvc pipe with a screw in cover. I was wondering if anyone knows someplace you can just buy umbrella holders to put in the deck? Ideally I'd like the ones that have the brass caps but I'd be interested in any places ya'll are aware of.

On a semi unrelated sidenote, those big cantilever umbrellas seem like they always have a 4 bolt pattern that ties them to their bases. Has anyone set bolts sleeves or something similar to be able to bolt one of those onto the deck later? Thanks!

The ones I bought are actually three parts. The main body that gets buried in the concrete right up to the top. Then an insert that drops in with a lip on the top to give nice finish look on top. That insert is threaded and the screw-in cap goes inside of that. I wish however that they were a few inches deeper. I also ended up drilling a hole in the bottom of each one down through to the stone below the concrete because otherwise they get filled up with water. I just use the caps for winter.

In the end, it is often too windy here (or an occasional gust) that lifts the umbrellas out of the holder and that's a problem. So it limits there use for me. But I'm glad they are there.

Ours are the Waterway version mentioned above.

An ideal solution to the wind issue would be to make my own (thought it's too late) and have the top part of the body be threaded. Then I'd have a threaded part that screws into it that and extends up a couple of inches. Then when I dropped the umbrella down into the hole, I'd drill a hole through the umbrella pole and also through the screwed in piece. Through that hole I'd put a clevis pin with an attached round spring clip. It would take a few more seconds to put that in place, but it would have been worth it for me to fix the wind issue.

The Waterway ones are around $11.00 "limited time" price at poolpartsonline.com at the moment I just saw. And as also mentioned, they have several colors available. I put in about a dozen. They only cost me the material I bought, the PB didn't charge since it's just a few extra minutes to put them in when doing the concrete.

That's great info about the wind for the umbrella holder, bmoreswim. My PB is supposed to include a dozen gray umbrella holders (I sent him some links to order, he said they usually put plain pieces of PVC in the ground), but it sounds like I should try to DIY or hack something that will take an extension before we pour our concrete. Here in OK - wind is definitely a concern.

Do you know the diameter of the sleeve and do you think a plumbing supply place would be the right place to go for parts? From what I understand, I'd be sacrificing the "color match" to our gray deck but it would probably be worth it to actually be able to use it! Our old above-ground umbrella holder heavy-duty base had me clutching the umbrella pole in every mild gust, so I don't want the much-desired umbrella holders to be a bust.

ETA: I found this link describing one DIY version, with 1.5 sched 40 PVC, but am guessing I would need to upsize the initial piping and step down to 1.5 as the "above ground" extension that gives the stability and ability to pin through the umbrella pole. Wondering if I should look for some kind of metal alternative (maybe stainless steel for outdoors?), since pvc could crack if stressed too much by the wind, I bet. http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...mpic-Bay-41x16-FG-Build-SE-Pennsylvania/page2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.