Building a new spa

Halle

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 26, 2013
Managua, Nicaragua
Hi Doctors of fluidology and everything wet....

I'm here in Nicaragua building a fairly large pool with an attached spa. The spa would overflow into the pool. I would like to put in one spa drain with a 2 1/2" sump port. I would quickly upsize the 2 1/2" PVC pipe to 3" PVC pipe as it goes directly back to the pump. This line would be valved. Most of the spa drain sumps are 1 1/2" and 2" Do they make any with 2 1/2" ports?

Location of spa drain: It looks like most if not all of the spa drain covers stick up at least 1 1/2" from the floor. That's got to be hard on toes and feet in the spa. What if I were to locate the drain in a corner of the spa or on the wall near the floor as some spa drains say that they can be installed that way. Is there any disadvantage in putting a spa drain on the wall, near the floor, besides, according to spec. sheets, that the flow rate is reduced. It looks like most of spa drains that I have been looking at show a flow rate of around a 100 GPM @ 2.72/sec.

Any suggestions anyone? This is all new to me and definitely not my area of expertise but away we go.....

The port size isn't critical, you can simply add an adapter to change to the size pipe you are using. There will be some trivial affect on the flow rate, but it will be so small you won't notice.

Remember that you need dual drains 3' apart for safety.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.