What HEATER should I buy?

May 23, 2013
New Jersey
Hi, I had to junk my pool heater last year. Jandy/Laars 400,000 BTU. I should have junked it sooner as it seems the copper tubing was disintegrating which caused copper staining in my plaster. Anyway, I'm looking for another heater to last another 10 years or more, 400,000 BTU's. My pool is an inground chlorinated gunite, 27,000 gal, 3M quartz plaster. My wife likes to keep it at spa temps, at least 90+ degrees. I had a LoNox natural gas unit. I will be installing it myself. I'm not concerned about the plumbing. Maybe a little concerned about the wiring. And wondering if any gas pressure testing equipment will be needed when installing the new unit. I can't afford top of the line. Just looking for something mid-range, easy to install, and weather proof as it will be exposed. Is it safe to buy on Amazon or Ebay? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Raypak heaters tend to get the most recommendations as I have seen on the forum ... both from owners and those in the pool industry.

You need to check that the warranty will be valid depending on where you buy it from. Many manufactures have started greatly limiting the warranty unless it is bought and installed by a professional.

That's what I've read regarding the "professional" installation, which in my area, the few times I hired a "professional" to do anything on my pool equipment they turned out to be a minimum wage summer job kid who could barely tie his own shoe laces. (no offense to true professionals) Raypak. I'll take a look at them. Like I mentioned above, I had bad staining on my plaster I think from the failing 10 yo heater. Could that be true? And if so, what types of internal plumbing material should I be looking for?

I think the only reason you would have gotten copper out of the heater exchanger is if you allowed the pH to stay too low in the pools ... which is a real possibility if you exclusively used trichlor tablets or dichlor powder.

There are now nickle exchangers, but the copper should be fine if the chemistry is balanced.

It's very rare that if you take out one heater and replace it with one of the same size do you ever need to mess with gas pressure. The life of a heater is now quoted by manufacturers as about 7 years. So I'm not so sure you will get as many years out of a new as you did your old unit. It's a must to always keep your chemistry in line. Even if you purchase a cupro nickle heat exchanger, it's only a matter of time before a failure if you do not keep your chemicals balanced.

Yes Raypak/Rheem is a very good unit.

Just got a raypack last month. Only really used it twice now but I love it.

Nps gave me a hard sell on the pentair but I made them get a raypack and I'm glad I paid the extra $$.
Independent installer told me I made the right choice. Said raypack is the way to go as their business is making heaters. Not pool pumps. Cheaper/standard parts too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was ready to pull the trigger on the above heater link I mentioned. http://www.inyopools.com/Products/04...tm#description
Going back and forth with inyopools.com via email regarding availability/shipping/ETA etc. They were very responsive. Then I noticed on the web page the "Parts" PDF. It shows a parts diagram for a 1993-1998 Raypak. So I asked how old the unit was and what the Raypak model number was. No answer. Should I be concerned? Also, why can't I find any reviews on this model? I found a couple for the RP2100 model i think on Amazon and it got bad reviews.

One thing to keep in mind when shopping for anything and looking at reviews, there will be a few bad for some reason. You can't make everyone happy and there are bound to be a few units here and there with an issue. However, for the most part, Raypak/Rheem is a great unit. I repair far more Haywards and Pentairs than the Raypaks.

No if you have been emailing back and forth with a company and then you ask a question with no response you do have to wonder if they took a nap or are avoiding you. Here is a link to Raypak's sight to look at their units. http://www.raypak.com/product.aspx?id=E841D1F9-5916-48BD-B753-78A6471032E8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.