Got a lot of rain yesterday and I don't understand my TA test with my TF-100 test kit

Dec 12, 2013
Houston, TX
Got A LOT of rain yesterday.
Using the TF-100 test kit and speed stir, when I tested for TA, I added first the 2 drops of R-0007 and then 5 drops of R-0008 and it turned RED immediately NOT green. I didn't even have to add R-0009 to make it red. So does that mean my TA is way low and I need to add baking soda? I've never encountered this before so I want to make sure what to do.

FYI - my pH was also low 6.0 or so. That's why I think my TA is real low too.

comments…?

Yes I do. Numbers before rain...

FC 3.5 CC 0.0 TC 3.5 pH 7.5 TA 70 CH 400 CYA 60

My plan according to TFP is I'm going to tackle TA 1st, cause that may raise my pH some. Once I hit my TA number I'll tackle pH.

Is this the right way to go?

2 more questions:
1) Once I start adding baking soda, how long do I have to run the pump before I retest?
2) Does adding stabilizer raise my CH at all?

Yes I do. Numbers before rain...

FC 3.5 CC 0.0 TC 3.5 pH 7.5 TA 70 CH 400 CYA 60

My plan according to TFP is I'm going to tackle TA 1st, cause that may raise my pH some. Once I hit my TA number I'll tackle pH.

Is this the right way to go?

2 more questions:
1) Once I start adding baking soda, how long do I have to run the pump before I retest?
2) Does adding stabilizer raise my CH at all?
That's what I'd do - raise TA to buffer things a little, then add borax or soda ash. Play around with http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html down near the bottom where it shows Effects of Adding Chemicals. You can see what effect adding the baking soda will have on pH and TA, as well as borax or washing soda. Washing soda will raise TA a bit, which means you won't want to add the whole amount of baking soda initially. Maybe raise TA by 40? Then do the pH. Then fine tune the rest.

As far as spacing things, half an hour with the pump on should mix things, especially if you go around the pool once with the brush. A wall whale will really get things stirred up, if you have one.

Stabilizer will not affect CH, only CYA and a teeny lowering of pH. Be aware that you also lost some salt if you diluted everything else that much, so be sure to keep FC up with bleach if you have to.

I think you want to use borax to try to raise the pH first ... that will also raise the TA. If you adjust the TA first, when you work on raising the pH from what may be around 4-5, it will raise the TA higher than you want.

It is very odd that some rain with cause such a huge drop in pH and TA.

If it were mine, I'd go Soda ash or Borax before Baking Soda. You will see a pH bump with BS and such low pH, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

I agree, that would seem to indicate some wicked acid rain, and a whole lot of it. My immediate thought was accidental over feed of acid. Very strange.

unless your talking tropical storm
i would consider the rain water was sitting on the surface and hadn't mixed with existing pool water
try and take a sample deeper in the water or run filter for a few hours and retest
i would be reluctant to add any chemicals until a second test confirmed results
just my opinion and i am a newbie by the the way
so i would listen to the experts but a second test wont hurt

aussieta, comes up with a great point. Did you circulate the water for at least an hour before testing? Still, I would be surprised that the rain water was that low of a pH and TA

I've tested the pH of rain here in Houston in the past and it was right at 6.8. Hard to imagine it was that low.

Not sure where you are located, but I'm in the Memorial villages and the TA of my fill water is 220 (although I haven't had to top off my pool in about 3 months) so it's very hard for me to get my TA in the 60-70 range even when I'm trying to lower it.

I'm currently aerating now to bring my pH up and over the next few days my FC will balance out.

Here are my current readings as of this morning:
FC 6.0 CC 0.0 pH 7.3 TA 70 CH 350 CYA 65

BTW HouTex…
I'm on the west side of Houston near Katy and my city tap water readings are:
FC - 0.80, PH - 7.2, TA - 90, CH - 125, CYA - 10

Thanks everybody again things are good now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.