Salt Water Pool Operated as Chlorine

Mo1074

Mar 5, 2014
Miami
Hi Everyone,

I bought a house with a salt water pool (I am a new pool owner, never had one before). The previous owner had been operating the pool as Chlorine pool because the SWG malfunctioned and stopped working. He has been adding Chlorine to the water regularly and testing the levels (as he says).

I would like to return it to normal and use it as salt water pool. What are your recommendations on how to fix this situation? My thoughts are to fix the board, replace the salt cell. When successful, does that mean the end of adding anything and just test the water for the acceptable chemical levels or do I need to add salt, etc... please let me know the recommended course of action.

The Goldline Aqua Rite board reads 2400, but all the lights are off.
The pool is 10K gallons pool
my questions in detail are
what is the expected price range for fixing this problem
Should I attempt a DIY approach, I am fairly okay in fixing things.
What to do after the board and salt cell are fixed or replaced?

I am in South Florida so I appreciate any recommendations on places to go for parts.

I a looking forward to your replies and appreciate all your help.

Welcome to TFP!

You'll still need to adjust the water chemistry, but once you get things going as long as you maintain appropriate levels you won't need to add chlorine because the SWCG does that for you. Salt is carried out of the pool by bathers, splash out and dilution from rain, so it needs to be added occasionally. Same with CYA. pH adjustements may still be required routinely as SWCGs tend to drive pH up during use.

You may want to read Water Balance for SWCGs and Salt Water Chlorine Generators

Welcome to TFP.

Lets get the semantics out of the way. A SWG pool is a chlorine pool, but I know what you mean. :)

The first thing you need to do is get a good test kit and run a full set of tests and post the results here. That way we can help keep (or get) the water balanced while you're sorting out the SWG problem.

Since you have an AquaRite you should read the Aquarite Not Generating Lights Not On thread. The pictures start at about post 101 and there's a good one in post 132.

Long story short, It may just be a current limiter that's causing the problem with the SWG.

You are on the right track. It may be something simple that needs fixing. For example, my friend had a SWG that seemed to not be working. Pool kept turning green, kids had ear infections, black algae spots here and there in the pool. The pool service company was suggesting a new unit, $1800 if I recall correctly. I tested the water and found it had no CYA at all. The cell was on at 100% all the time but was unable to keep up with the blazing Texas sun plus the multitude of kids. We slammed the pool with chlorine and scrubbed the black algae away, then added CYA to 85 ppm and all was well. SWG was fine, no need to replace at all.

Hello everyone,

I changed the limiter and that did the trick, now the board is functioning. I tested the cell at a local pool store and it is working fine. I also took a water sample and after the analysis I added 1.5 Gallons of Chlorine, a quart of acid ,8 lbs of calcium and finally the no phosphate as the level were very high (a lot of leaves fall into the pool regularly).

The readings after about 1 hour of adding all the above mentioned chemicals were as follows (in that same order as I am not sure yet what it is that I am reading except the salt level of 2600)
79P
AL -0
r 1.58
t-15

the low salt light is blinking as of when I left

here are some pics of the pool unit for your verification

here are some pics as well
From above.JPG
Filter Zero Pressure.JPG
Pipes.JPG
photo (5).JPG
photo (5).JPG

Now is the time to order a good test kit and run your own tests.

At 2600 ppm the salt level is too low for the swg. Did the pool store also test the salt level for you?
You need to add enough salt to get about 3200 ppm. You can use PoolMath to do the calculation for you.

While we don't really believe pool store tests, can you post the numbers they gave you before adding all the stuff they sold you?
We typically like to see;
pH
FC
CC
TC
TA
CH
CYA

I might as well go ahead and say this while I'm on it.. The phosphate remover was a waste. In a properly chlorinated pool they don't matter at all. It's just something the pool store sells you to increase their profit margin.

Bama,

Thank you so much. I will post the numbers from the store test later this afternoon.

I like to do my own work, so definitely will order the test kit. The store mentioned that I have enough salt in the sample (I disagree since he also asked me to add chlorine to the water).

how about the pics I posted, does everything look the way it is supposed to be? particularly the pictures with the gauges at zero (one of them is connected to a filter that does not seem to have any water flowing through it, not sure if that is normal)

also, when the waterfall is switched on, the board automatically shuts off, is that how it is supposed to work?

I appreciate the replies and glad to be part of this forum.

Now is the time to order a good test kit and run your own tests.

At 2600 ppm the salt level is too low for the swg. Did the pool store also test the salt level for you?
You need to add enough salt to get about 3200 ppm. You can use PoolMath to do the calculation for you.

While we don't really believe pool store tests, can you post the numbers they gave you before adding all the stuff they sold you?
We typically like to see;
pH
FC
CC
TC
TA
CH
CYA

I might as well go ahead and say this while I'm on it.. The phosphate remover was a waste. In a properly chlorinated pool they don't matter at all. It's just something the pool store sells you to increase their profit margin.
I've got 2 bottles of phosfree if anyone is interested. I've also got some ph up that is no longer necessary after my installing an aerator. Oh, and some algeacide too. None of which has been needed since going to chlorine (bleach) last year. Some day I may find some use for the 2 boxes of 20 Mule Team borax. Since doing my own testing I've got a couple bags of baking soda that I mIght need some day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the advice--I'll check them out!

Update: saved a nickel, but probably getting a much better one--the one on now has lasted less than a year!

I have never had one last through the winter outside. I remove mine when I winterize and keep it in my sock drawer until spring.

Just as a note, I ordered a guage from Dave and love it!! I just added it to my order when I got some refills. Ordered on Friday and got them Tuesday..Now that is great service!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.