CA
Just did my first test using the Taylor K2006 kit. 9000 gallon pool

FC = 13.8 ppm
CC = 0
PH = 7.6
TA = 140 ppm
CH = 370 ppm
CYA off charts - about 1/2 way before it hits the 100 mark

Looks like I'm all over the place. TA way to high, and I dont even know what to do about the CYA. Water looks crystal clear, not sure how it got here. I was using a 'pool man' before; this is my first service.

What should my 1st step be? replace water?

Yes water replacement is the only way to lower CYA level. The pool man probably got your CYA level where it's at. What did he use for chlorine ?

You can dilute the sample for the CYA test. Use half tap water half pool water and X2 the reading. Use pool math to determine how much water to replace. What type of pool do you have ? If you put all your pool and equipment info in your sig it will help us better help you.

I just purchased this house and have acquired a pool with it :silent: I know the previous owners were using tablets, not sure what my pool-man was using (I only used him for 2 months before stopping service). The pool is fiberglass - uses bleach

Just did the diluted test, the CYA is about 180-200

I think this means I need to replace 75% of the water? Would there be any issues draining the fiberglass pool by 75% in a single pass?

edit: updated my signature, but doesn't seem to show up here. Here's the info
>> 9000 gal IG chlorine fiberglass pool. Pentair FNS DE 60 sqft. Pentair SuperFlo VS

That would depend on how high your water table is. You don't want to risk floating the pool. Might be better to do a couple passes.

The pucks are the culprit to the high CYA level and probably the pool man didn't help out any. Regardless you'll need to replace some water to lower that CYA level. You want that CYA level to be in the 30-50 ppm range. Liquid chlorine from now on !

I think it would be safer to do three 33% drains, that should almost get you down to the recommended levels.

{Did you click the save signature button and not the preview button?}

I just ordered a pump from Amazon and will do the draining next weekend.

Question - during each 33% discharge & refill, do I let the pump run for 1 turnover? or is more necessary? Luckily I just purchased a flow-gauge retrofit for my Jandy valve and can make some use of it!

A couple of large poly drop cloths taped together and floated on top of the pool will give you a membrane that allows you to fill and drain simultaneously (still get some mixing but way less waste).

The drain pump house under the membrane and the hose goes on top. Just keep an eye on the drain rate and watch for snags as the poly drop cloth or tarp gets pulled to the bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update. After a tedious drain/refill, here are my new results:

FC = 0
CC = 0
pH = 7.0 (couldn't tell whether it was pegged low at 7.0, or slightly shaded towards 7.2
TA = 210 ppm
CH = 210 ppm
CYA = 47

I just added liquid bleach and will test again tomorrow.

What should I do about my TA? add acid then raise pH with borax?
I will be adding about 53oz (by volume) calcium chloride to raise my CH to 260
CYA looks much better. A little high, but in range.

Thanks for everyone's help, this forum is pretty awesome! I added the required chemicals last night to bring my FC, PH and CH to spec and will measure again this afternoon. I look forward to the day when my pool is stabilized and maintenance becomes minimal.

As for the 47 CYA reading, that was my guesstimate :D It was above 45 but less than 50, it could've been 46 or 48.

As for the 47 CYA reading, that was my guesstimate It was above 45 but less than 50, it could've been 46 or 48
Just round your CYA off to the nearest 10 ppm. It's as precise and repeatable as you need to be.

When responders see a "47", it is often an implication that it's from a dreaded test strip.....which none of us like for repeatability or precision.

You have the right kit for a good test so just round it off to the closest 10 ppm and score your self a 50 ppm.

Very nice work on getting your pool under control and managed quickly. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.