If you had to do it over again, would you go with a spa?

janeyd

Feb 8, 2014
North TX
Gonna builds a pool, but can't decide on a spa. I had a jetted bath tub, and I loved my dads hot tub....but is a pool spa as "therapeutic"? Or does it just produce bubbly water? Is all the added expense worth it? Was it worth it for you?

Thanks

Although possible, I'm sure it would take some expense and more than just an extra pump and jets to match performance of a high-end standalone spa. But, I can't imagine building a pool without one. It has allowed us year-round usage~It's certainly easier to heat the spa during the winter and early spring!

After seeing/using a relatives spa, it was not optional for our build.

Backstory: he has pool/spa parties nearly every weekend (massive spa).

I'm not nearly this social, but the lovely wife and I enjoy grilling every Sat. year round. So a spa will go nicely with that in the months that swimming is out of the question (and possibly in the months that swimming is in season). You can make the spa a little more "therapeutic" with different jet options. I have two "captains seats" with dual back jets in them. I'm hoping it works as well in real life as it does in my head.

Of course this doesn't mention the other reason for a spa. Water features.

I live in Miami and we went back and forth about whether to add a spa or not. We liked the idea of jets and "sitting around" and relaxing. But, it is so hot here, friends warned us we would never use it because it wasn't refreshing. We're adding a "spa area" but not a true heated spa enclosure. It will have the jets, the seating area, and some sleeves to add umbrellas for shade, but it won't be a completely separate space with its own pump and heating. Honestly, I'm very nervous about this decision. It could be a fabulous idea or a total flop -- a really expensive one!

I think since you are from North Texas, I would try to add one if at all possible.

Yes! We use ours frequently. To be honest although it does get used as a hot tub by the wife and I, most of its use is to allow our toddler to be in the water year round.
It's been fantastic - that and a firepit which also gets a lot of use.

Our friends built one in, but I think they use it more in the summer when the pool is going. We have a standalone spa, can go out at anytime and open the cover and use it (which we do several nights a week). A built in one you don't keep heated constantly so you have to heat the water ahead of time (at least the ones Ive seen). If you do build one in, I like the rolled tile edge I have seen on a few spas on the site, seems more comfortable than leaning back into the edge of flagstone with your back or neck.

I like being outside as much as possible, especially on sunny days and a dip in pool makes that possible during summer months. My old house had a pool (which I loved) but no spa - which I did not seem to miss.

And I'm not necessarily looking to extend my pool use all year round...

I am going to plan for a tanning deck....cause I can see sitting out there reading...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would not look at a house without a built in spa when we were buying a new house. We use ours all of the time and to me it lengthens your swim season. It is great to be able to go out when it is cool and sit in the hot tub and look at the stars. Very relaxing to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.