Poollovers New Build in Miami, Florida

Jun 20, 2008
Hello there

We are so excited!!! :party: After waiting 64 days from the date we signed the contract, we finally have approved permits!!!!! The big dig is scheduled for July 7th. This is what it is supposed to look like. I will post the actual pictures of the dig and build.

Some Specs:
SWG
Jandy 1.5 Water Pump
Jandy AE2500 Heater

plans3.jpg

I love the shape! I like the large tanning shelf the most. Advice from just having done this -- have everything picked out and ready to go. The pool companies are often pretty enthusiastic about finishing quickly until you give them the idea you 'need time' to figure out the tile, plaster, etc. then they slow way down.... don't give them a chance to loose momentum!

Congrats!

Steve

Thank You Steve -
Our goddaughter saw the plans and said it looked like an amoeba so we have officially named it the "Amoeba Pool"
We (I) will be picking out all of the goodies next week. I can't wait but I'm terribly confused about what to get. I want earth tones for the pavers (stone is out of the budget) coping and waterline tiles but I want it to match with the diamondbrite and I would like the water to be really blue.

We bought the heater and the SWG on our own because the price difference was big. We saved $2600 by doing so. Both items have been sitting in my living room for the last month since we were told it would be 2-3 weeks for permitting and the PB suggested we have it ready when they begin the big DIG.

I'm home for the summer (school teacher), so I will make sure they are working. If I can manage middle schoolers, then I think I can manage them. If not, food always works for adults!!!

Thanks for the advice

Raquel

Just a note,

Make sure you are home when the sub-contractors are working and making sure they do things just how you want them. Carry a tape measure in your pocket. Don't be afraid to question them on what they are doing. Sometimes they explain and it makes sense, and sometimes you catch a mistake. I think alot gets lost in translation from the pool store salesman...to the PB contractor...to the subs. If you don't have a really good PB that is on-site most of the time, then YOU need to be. It's all made of concrete and if nobody is there to tell the subs the fine details, they'll do it however is easiest or how THEY would do it. Once the concrete dries...not much else can be done in most cases.

I've learned alot from the subs during my build. Most of them really know how to do their jobs well and work hard. They just need a little nudge in the right direction sometimes.

Jim

Kristy- I hope that we will be swimming before we back to school. I doubt it though, we start Aug.18th. We have already set our minds that it will not be ready by Aug. so we pushed back our son's b-day party until the pool is ready. Hopefully you won't have to wait two months for your permits. Congrats on your signing!!!

landmark218-As soon as we got the news we had the sign made. The waiting though, was horrible. Everytime we called to check on them, they wanted something else. I couldn't understand why they didn't ask for everything at once. :hammer: We also had the issue of people on vacation and heaven forbid they answer their phone after 2:00p.m. :grrrr:

Jim- Thanks for the advice! I will definetly be on top of things. I already found a mistake. Our contract says a 2HP pump but the plans say 1.5 HP. I just noticed that today when I was looking over the contract. I plan on calling tomorrow and clearing that up.

Pre-Construction meeting is set for this Tues!!!!

Re: Poollovers New Build in Miami, Florida-- Pictures

Today was the big DIG day!! They came, they dug, they cleaned, They will be back tomorrow!!!

This is the before!
DSC_0068.jpg

The Big Dig---- Looks Easy Huh?
DSC_0074.jpg

This is when they broke the pipe that drains to the sewer. It had to be re-routed anyways. Apparently, no big deal.

DSC_0075.jpg

The measurements look good!
DSC_0078.jpg

Here is the broken pipe
DSC_0084.jpg

And finally a big pretty hole.
DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

Tomorrow they fix the pipe and start on the rebar.
I will post more pictures tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks great! I like the big scooper -- didn't destroy your whole yard like a tractor might have. Bummer about the pipe (and not being able to flush/shower, etc for a day) but -- like you said -- no big deal.

Is this in the front on your house? What do you have planned for fencing?

Steve

Hi Steve,

It's actually the side of my house. I'm on a corner lot. Which made it easier for them to dig and load the dirt and rock on to the trucks. As far as fencing is concerned, this is where we have come to a dilema. Since we are a corner lot and have a stop sign on that side of the street, I cannot have a privacy fence passed that stop sign, which means I lose about 200 square feet of decking. We have decided to block it off until the stop sign with aluminum picket privacy fence around the pool and then regular aluminum picket (bronze) for the front of the property. We haven't been able to find it for under 12K and really only have 10K left for that project.

If you or anyone know of a fencing company that is reasonable please let me know.

Raquel

Re: Poollovers New Build in Miami, Florida - Pictures

Yesterday Day 3 we picked out:
Diamond Brite: Cool Blue
Coping: Chicago Brick
Pavers: Harvest Blend
Water Line/ Spa Tile: Rust Blue Luv Tile
Cap Tile: Stone Blue

Of course we had to pay for upgrades. :grrrr:

Day 4: Today they continued working on the rebar.
DSC_0102.jpg

That's some pool you have there!

Can't wait to see it done! 8)

Re: Poollovers Bulid--Complications UGHH!

You guys were right about about having POP!! Does anyone have any that I can borrow? This pool is driving me bananas and I can't afford to buy any patience :rant: .
Right now our very expensive hole is on standby. The plumbing that was broken is still not fixed; apparently we need permits now to fix it. :grrrr: Thank goodness for our neighbors. :bowdown: The esimates to fix this pipe and re-route around the pool are outrageous even if we do the digging ourselves. And if that doesn't seem to be enough, the city now does not come out to inspect the stepbacks, we have to have another survey of the entire property and present the findings to the them = more $$ and delays. We are disputing this with the pool company. If those get approved then we can have the structure inspected and then gunite!
I have learned that 1 day= 1 week. :bump: Soooooo at this point I know that we will not be having our son's 13th birthday (8-18) party, which we turned into a Labor Day party any time soon. At this rate we will be having a tropical Thanksgiving/ Birthday if we are lucky, I'm planning on putting the cristmas tree in the hole if there isn't water by then. :rendeer:

I am sick of getting estimates! :puker: I have spent months getting all kinds of estimates- pool,fence, plumbers (none for patience, can't find anyone to give me quote on that ) not to mention the hours I have been stuck at home waiting for people who are running LATE!!!! :rant: My summer is almost over!!!

I have however spent countless hours here in this forum reading, learning and living vicariously. I have learned sooo much and continue to learn. Thanks for all the info, you guys are truely the best!!!! All I know is that when this headache is over we will have a beautiful pool.

Sorry to vent,

Very frustrated!!!!
Raquel

I'm sorry to heat that you are having troubles. Hang in there it will all be over sooner than it seems. I know what you mean about time standing still. We are starting to wonder if our pool will ever get finished but in reality it has only been 5 weeks. The PB assures us that it will be completed on time.

Re: Poollovers New Build in Miami, Florida -Tile and Coping pics

Day 29 Backfill and wood removal
Day 30 and 31 Tile and Coping

We are ecstatic with the results thus far.
DSC_0382.jpg

DSC_0383.jpg

DSC_0384.jpg

DSC_0389.jpg

Can't wait to jump in and enjoy it. It has been especially hot and humid these last couple of days.

Hopefully tomorrow- Plumbing

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.