How many pumps in a residential spa/jacuzzi?

Jun 7, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I'm a certified pool operator, but I've only worked on one pool and one spa for the last 13 years. Our spa at work has 3 pumps and 1 blower. 1 pump for the filter at 1HP, 2 pumps for the spa jets at 1.5 HP and one blower, which blows air into the jets.

I don't have any experience with residential spas. The ones I've seen only have one pump? One pump does the job of filtering and putting out the jets? I've seen spas with timers and controls on the spa itself. If there's only one pump, then how do the spa jets work? Do the controls increase the pump motor RPMs?

There are a number of combinations. Basic spas have a one speed pump that is always running the jets (which gives you circulation as well as a mild jet effect) and a separate control to turn air on/off. A few have two speed pumps, as bobaclown suggested. A fair number have two pumps, with one dedicated to circulation. The jets are typically venturi jets that draw air in without a blower, though some fancier models include blowers. Likewise, some higher end models include more than one jet pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.