Winter Green pool

Sep 4, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hi.
After much reading, I am ready to clean my green swamp. Was thinking of starting today, but, rain is in the forecast for a couple of days this week, so, hopefully I can start ASAP.

I did some testing yesterday and this is what I came up with.

PH 8.2
CYA 20 ( Down from 120 last october, but due to leak pool emptied half way)
TA 300
CH 80

Can I leave the CYA at 20 or should I increase it to 30?
I am lowering the PH to 7.3 with muriatic acid. Is that correct?

I used pool calculator ans it says I need 482 oz of bleach 8.25% from walmart. I have bought 12 bottles of 121 oz, that's all they had. Will buy about 12 more, just to make sure I don't run out.

Any suggestions before I get started. First time pool owner, have owned the pool only during the winter.

Yes you can leave your CYA at 20 for SLAMMing. You'll use less bleach at that level. The SLAM level will be 10 ppm. A tick or two higher wouldn't hurt. Yep drop your PH down first. 7.2-7.3 will be fine. Some rain should not affect the SALM unless it's an extreme amount.

Just remember to follow the instructions to the T. Test as often as you can and bring it back up to SLAM level. The longer you can maintain SLAM level the faster this will go for you. Backwash your filter when you have a 20-25% increase in pressure from your clean pressure.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress !?

Pwrstrk thanks for your quick reply.
Do I run the filter on waste mode the whole time or no?
How often should I charge DE to the filter?
How long after I add the muriatic acid should I retest?
Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Pwrstrk thanks for your quick reply.
Do I run the filter on waste mode the whole time or no?
How often should I charge DE to the filter?
How long after I add the muriatic acid should I retest?
Thanks

No don't run filter to waste the whole time.
You'll have to recharge DE after each backwash. Only add about 80 % of what you would add if you broke down the filter and did a complete cleaning.
You can retest your PH after 30 min of acid dose. Run pump the whole time to mix well.

You could run on Recirculate if you have it for awhile until all the algae appears dead (white instead of green). Then start filtering it out and as Jeff said, backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% and then put 80% of the DE amount back in ... this may happen a LOT and quickly when trying to clear the pool since DE filters are so effective.

If you can not be there to monitor the pressure, then again use Recirculate.

Lol... I don't want to be outside in the rain guessing what I'm doing. That's all. If I knew exactly what I was doing wouldn't have a problem. Specially with this filter thing. That I have to keep checking.
Not that I am weak. But I'm a female and my only help is my 8 year old. But that's cool. I'm gonna start tomorrow. I've been delaying this for way too long.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used pool calculator ans it says I need 482 oz of bleach 8.25% from walmart
One thing that appears to have been lost in this thread is the amount of bleach. Poolmath cannot calculate how much chlorine it will take to complete a SLAM.

The SLAM will be complete whan a certain set of testing criteria is met........not just a one-time dose of bleach.

Please review the SLAM process and get a thorough grasp that it involves multiple dosages of bleach......not a calculated one-time amount. I think you know that but I don't want you to overlook this ESSENTIAL part of the SLAM.

:confused: I just hit a road block!!! After I put the muriatic acid and started running the pump, after a few hours, I hear a weird noise,and went to check, there was no water in the skimmer. Turned pump off, and started to look for something, and notice water running on the side of the pool, coming from under the deck. :???:

Where should I start to see if I can take care of this, or should I just call the leak squad.
Thanks, and sorry for all the hassle.

One thing that appears to have been lost in this thread is the amount of bleach. Poolmath cannot calculate how much chlorine it will take to complete a SLAM.

The SLAM will be complete whan a certain set of testing criteria is met........not just a one-time dose of bleach.

Please review the SLAM process and get a thorough grasp that it involves multiple dosages of bleach......not a calculated one-time amount. I think you know that but I don't want you to overlook this ESSENTIAL part of the SLAM.

Thanks Dave,

My understanding is 482 oz will get me to Shock level, and It must stay at that level until everything is gone, as suggested on the Slamming thread, I purchased 4.5 times the amount needed to get to that level. In my case 10, but calculated to 11.

:confused: I just hit a road block!!! After I put the muriatic acid and started running the pump, after a few hours, I hear a weird noise,and went to check, there was no water in the skimmer. Turned pump off, and started to look for something, and notice water running on the side of the pool, coming from under the deck. :???:

Where should I start to see if I can take care of this, or should I just call the leak squad.
Thanks, and sorry for all the hassle.

Sorry to hear this. I'm not a leak expert by any means, but has the liner pulled away from the wall at the place you see the water ? What has the temperature been like where you live ? Burst pipe ?

Hopefully somebody else will chime in with more knowledge on this than me to give some more insight.

mmmm, liner looks a little funny, but I am not sure is "pulled away" completely.
Weather has been cold, pool had froze ( just the top ) maybe 2 or 3 times this winter.

But, the pool has been almost full for the whole winter without leaking, until now when I replenished the water to the skimmer to use the pump is that this occurred..

Not good. Leak squad guy came. O didn't get to see him or anything. I text Me saying I should just go ahead an replace the liner. Liner it is a little rough but I don't think that's the cause of the leak.
I'm going to get quotes and just bite the bullet if need be.
Thanks for following up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.