Basic CYA ??? for new pool start-up

May 3, 2008
rock springs, wi
Is CYA basically only available at pool stores? Do Walmart or other discounters sell it? I never seem to see it at those stores, but I really don't know what to look for. What is it actually called at the store - I mean like what brands or product names. I will be needing some in the next few days, hopefully.

And, I am also assuming that for a new pool filled with well water there is zero CYA in the raw water. Is that true? So in the pool calculator i just type in the gallons and beginning balance of zero and I can then determine how much to dump in right away?

bobnamy said:
Is CYA basically only available at pool stores? Do Walmart or other discounters sell it? I never seem to see it at those stores, but I really don't know what to look for. What is it actually called at the store - I mean like what brands or product names. I will be needing some in the next few days, hopefully.

And, I am also assuming that for a new pool filled with well water there is zero CYA in the raw water. Is that true? So in the pool calculator i just type in the gallons and beginning balance of zero and I can then determine how much to dump in right away?

You can sometimes find CYA at Walmart and also at Home Depot or Lowe's. It'll be branded as either "conditioner", "stabilizer", or in the case of the DuPont product that Lowe's carries, "sanitizer stabilizer". Wherever you find it, check the ingredient list to make sure it's cyanuric acid, or cyanuric acid and some type of inert ingredient. For example, the CYA cited above that Lowe's sells is 99% cyanuric acid, and 1% inert ingredients.

You're correct, well water shouldn't have any CYA in it, so use 0 for the starting point with the pool calc. You might want to add it in steps though, just to make sure you don't overshoot your goal. You can always add more CYA to your pool; to remove it, you have to dump water. Remember, it can take up to a week for it to dissolve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.