Test Kit Questions - Green Pool after winter

kandie

Mar 1, 2014
houston, tx
Hello all! I am new to TFP and have been reading many many posts and feel that I have learned quite a lot from all of you. Thank you!

I bought my Intex metal frame pool last summer. It is 24' round, approx 13000 gallons. Since I live in Houston and winters are very mild here (normally - this year was kind of crazy) I decided to not take the pool down for the 4 months of "winter". I am ready to begin getting it ready for the sping/summer season and I have several problems I need to fix to hopefully have it ready for swimming by next weekend.

First my pump is not working. New one will arrive in 2 days. Second is green water :( . I have removed all the debris after removing the wnter cover. I still need to vacuum as the pump is not working now, but everything else is removed. In the meantime, I have purchased bleach, baking soda, and borax so that I am prepared when the pump arrives. I plan to use the BBB method to maintain my pool once I fix my issues.

My question now is around testing. I have a 5 way test kit that tests for Chlorine, Bormine, pH, Acid Demand and Total Alkalinity. I have read a lot about CYA and other test results. I have spent quite a lot of cash just this weekend getting the necessary items and would like to make sure I have everything I need to perform the proper tests while spending the least amount possible. I have read Pool School and have looked at the calculator (going to need some more schooling for that one...:confused: ) and have looked at the test kits on this site. Can someone help me determine what I should be getting to ensure I can test for the right things to clear my pool and get it ready for the spring/summer? We have had several days of 75 degrees and higher and would like to take advantage of those beautiful days as soon as possible.

Also, what is the shipping time frame for the test kits on this site? I live in Houston, TX.

Thanks for all the great advice so far.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

We no longer call it the BBB method and you are a perfect example of why. Odds are you will never need the borax or the baking soda (most members don't), so hopefully you can return it. We recommend you only buy what you KNOW your pool needs ... and that depends on accurate test results ... which you currently do not have.

I highly recommend you get the TF-100, and likely the XL option since you are going to have to follow the SLAM Process to clear up your pool. The K-2006 just does not have enough of the FAS-DPD reagent to properly SLAM and then maintain the pool ... thus the TF-100 is the best value. See the Recommended Test Kits article in Pool School.

Dave ships out from tftestkits.net the same day. There is a west coast distributor (poolsupplyworld) in CA, but I am not sure it would be faster for you.

Welcome to TFP !

I also recommend the TF-100 kit with the XL- option. You also might want to consider the speed stirrer. It makes testing a little easier. I have one and it's a great add on to the kit.

When your kit arrives do a complete test on all the parameters and post your results and we'll get you on your way to a sparkling pool.

As Jason said you probably won't need borax or baking soda, but you will need bleach. What our methods are about is accurate testing, understanding the water chemistry and only adding what your water needs. Keep reading in pool school and this will all start to make sense and come together for ya. ?

Same here, get the TF-100 with the XL option, while a little more expensive it gives you more of the test reagents you use the most, sure you could save $10 or so and get a Taylor K-2006, but particularly with a green pool you would find yourself in need of refills much sooner.

Ike

Thanks everyone. The tests you recommend are way too expensive for me right now. I will add them to my things to get list. I am looking into making sure i can find a good test for CYA and FC as the test I currntly have tests for everything else and is not the strips it is a true test kit. Also I need something that I can either get locally or on Amazon as I can get next day shipping very cheap as a Prime member. Thanks again for your help and will post the test results as soon as i am able to get my pump running and get the water tested.

You can order the CYA and the FAS-DPD chlorine tests separately from tftestkits.net ... although the FAS-DPD is the most expensive test in the kit, so with those and maybe the XL option, you will be getting pretty close to the cost of just getting the kit.

You might be able to find the FAS-DPD and CYA reagents on Amazon, although not sure it would be much cheaper or faster than Dave. Highly unlikely to find the FAS-DPD locally unless you have a commercial supply shop.

After reviewing all options, it is cheaper in the long run to just pay the full $100 including shipping and wait 3-4 days (this is way over my budget, but best to do it right than pay way more $$ later I guess). Anyway... I will post my results sometime on thursday/friday when i get the kit from Dave. Other option were cheaper, but with what was said here i was afraid i would end up spening more money later to refill the kit. Hopefully this will last the entire season and it will be all worth if I don't have to start over with refilling the entire pool! Thanks again for your advise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A test kit saves money and quite quickly. What's the alternative? Without accurate results, you'll add things you don't need or too little. Then you will have problems and need add even more stuff to correct them. Or you can trust a pool store, which profits from selling you stuff. Adding just the correct amount that the pool needs is by far the cheapest way.

Thanks! I am really looking forward to a sparkling pool. In the meantime, I am soaking up all the knowledge all of you have provided for those of us who are fed up with the advice from the pool store "experts"! I think I have learned more in the last week from reading your posts and Pool School articles than I have in a summer of weekly visits to my local pool store. Thank you all very much! I have a feeling it is going to be a WONDERFUL spring, summer, and fall!!!!

Thanks! I am really looking forward to a sparkling pool. In the meantime, I am soaking up all the knowledge all of you have provided for those of us who are fed up with the advice from the pool store "experts"! I think I have learned more in the last week from reading your posts and Pool School articles than I have in a summer of weekly visits to my local pool store. Thank you all very much! I have a feeling it is going to be a WONDERFUL spring, summer, and fall!!!!

Congratulations, and welcome to TFP! :wave:

Pool Stores in general, are not about educating their customers. If they really provided them with the whole truth, they'd be out of the chemical business.

Im Back! I got my test kit and everything is set. I tested here are the first set of numbers:
TC: 0 (i kinda figured that :wink:)
CYA: < 20
PH: 7.2

I added just under 4 gallons of 8.25% Bleach as directed by PoolMath.

Now I wait... :-|

I will post new results soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.