Phoenix people who went with variable speed.

We have one on our new pool and didn't on the old pool. Not sure from a money savings aspect but I do like the fact that you can have different speeds for different functions...like the cleaner runs at close to max speed, which is louder, while when the water feature is on, it runs about about 30% of maximum and is much much quieter, you can barely near the pump. At on old house we had, it was a single speed and the pump was so loud it would basically overpower the sound of the waterfall.

I might be out of date, but last I heard electric rates in Phoenix were around $0.10 to $0.15/kWh. At those prices a regular/large variable speed pump will not usually pay off the initial investment and you will be better off with a two speed or small variable speed pump. The smaller variable speed pumps are comparatively new and we have much less experience with them, but they do cost noticeably less so should at least in theory be a good deal at those electric rates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.