New pool owner - help please

Jan 9, 2014
I've had this house and pool for a couple years and am having a new problem. My pump won't hold its prime, I guess that is the way to say that. When it starts to fill up, it will get full but then flushes and starts all over. I am assuming air from somewhere, but where and how do I find it. I noticed the little glass bulb on the sand filter is also empty, would that have anything to do with it. Very frustrated and can't figure it out. Does anyone have any thoughts? I appreciate it.

Air getting into the system points to a suction side air leak. I'll recycle my usual response. You might also try using the search box for suction side air leaks.
Round up the usual suspects: low water level, stuck weir (flapper) in the skimmer, loose drain plugs on the pump, poor seal on the pump strainer basket, and leaks at the fittings, especially any couplings.

The glass bulb on the filter is a sight glass. It should show empty unless you're backwashing, when you use it to see when the water is finally clear. When the pump is on, do you see or hear a vortex in the skimmer? Does the flap swing free? The O-ring on top of the pump basket is a really common culprit, it needs to be clean, lubricated, and have no cracks.

Thanks everyone. I had thought maybe leaves or something was blocking the pipe, but nothing was ever coming through to the skimmer basket after doing a couple of things to check the line to make sure it was clear. So that is what made me go to air leak. What happens with the skimmer is it fills up to the top, and then is just instantly sucked out, I guess that would be the vortex maybe. I'll double check the o-ring again just to make sure that is not the problem. Thanks everyone.

Thanks everyone. I had thought maybe leaves or something was blocking the pipe, but nothing was ever coming through to the skimmer basket after doing a couple of things to check the line to make sure it was clear. So that is what made me go to air leak. What happens with the skimmer is it fills up to the top, and then is just instantly sucked out, I guess that would be the vortex maybe. I'll double check the o-ring again just to make sure that is not the problem. Thanks everyone.
Let's be sure we're speaking the same language. By skimmer, you're talking about the opening in the side of the pool where all the leaves and bugs on the surface end up in a perfect world?

If so, then either the pool water level is too low or the weir (flapper) is sticking shut.

I'm sorry, Sunday morning posting without enough coffee. The pump filter basket is what I meant to say. There is a good stream of water that comes in and fills it up, but instead of staying full and working properly, it basically flushes out and starts over. It flushes through the bottom of the pump filter basket (I guess where that would lead to the sand filter).

I'm sorry, Sunday morning posting without enough coffee. The pump filter basket is what I meant to say. There is a good stream of water that comes in and fills it up, but instead of staying full and working properly, it basically flushes out and starts over. It flushes through the bottom of the pump filter basket (I guess where that would lead to the sand filter).
What you're describing still fits the original diagnosis. What I picture happening is: the pump turns on, takes a few seconds to prime, gets going good, sucks the skimmer dry, sucks air, loses prime, stops pulling water from the skimmer, skimmer refills, pump is able to prime itself again. Repeat. Go take a look inside the skimmer - that's the one on the side of the pool - when the pump is on, and see if the water level drops suddenly. The water level even being an inch too low can cause what you're describing, and if the weir (flapper) is binding some how or is janned with a twig, it will do the same.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.