should I reduce chlorine proactively or just wait?

Jul 22, 2013
Houston TX
Brand new pool owner and I miscalculated the amount of bleach to add to my pool so I added too much and my FC just tested at 33.5 using the DPD/FAS in my TF100 ... my CYA is about 40 (I am new to all of this so my testing skills are probably suspect). I thought I adjusted my PH to about 7.2 before adding chlorine. And measured TA at 130 and CH at 100.

I turned off my SWCG, but I don't think is has ever run, it keeps reporting low salt level, even though I get about 3200 with my Taylor K-1766 (new to this too).

My pool only gets sun for about half the day due to shade from garage and house.

Should I try to neutralize some of the FC or just wait for it happen? water is too cold to swim in because have not run heaters yet, so no pressure to go swimming any time soon.

thanks in advance

I wouldn't worry about it too much on an outdoor pool. Just leave the cover off, so the pool gets direct sunlight, until the level comes down (which should be tomorrow or the next day if there is lots of sunlight). The high FC level could potentially damage the cover, and the cover would prevent the level from coming down nearly as quickly.

If the water is below 60 degrees, I wouldn't worry about the SWG reading low salt. Many brands have problems reading the salt level when the water is cold.

I should have edited my signature, I put everything in, but it is not all installed yet. The cover, acid pump, and the ORP/PH sensors are still in the box in my back yard. I was trying to get the water setup manually before using the automation. I have read thru the Pool School and lots of the other areas of TFPC multiple times.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yep just let the FC fall on its on. It'll take some time with the cold water temp. Too cold to swim any how. Don't try to test PH until FC falls below 10. The test is skewed with FC levels of 10 ore more. It will read a false high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.