Using Trichlor tablets for start up

Apr 30, 2013
San Tan Valley, AZ
This discussion was split from HERE to avoid hijacking. jblizzle

I still can’t believe that Shasta did not show you how to do the pool chemistry. We recently had our pool built too out here in Arizona (Completed in January) and our builder (California Pool and Landscape) sent a guy out and showed me step by step how to measure everything. They did give me the cheap test kit. I will buy the TF-100 before the summer hits us. Another funny story about Leslie’s pool supplies they told me I had to use the Tricholr Pucks and not liquid chlorine “because, Arizona does not get enough rain to keep the CYA levels up in the pool.” I just nodded my head and smiled and did not say anything. I am glad I found the forum months ago and knew the guy was lying to me. On a side note I am currently using the Tricholr Pucks the pool builder gave me at startup, but once they are gone I will switch over to liquid chlorine.

Re: New pool startup in AZ

On a side note I am currently using the Tricholr Pucks the pool builder gave me at startup, but once they are gone I will switch over to liquid chlorine.
This may not be a good plan. What is your CYA currently? How many pucks are you planning on using?
If your CYA is range, you would be better off saving the pucks until you need to raise the CYA some and start using bleach now.

well I guess I am going to have to buy the TF-100 sooner than later to get my CYA readings. I will buy it once I get home from work. I am on my 5th puck and my FC level is at 4, My PH is at 7.6 and my TA is 110. These are the readngs from the test kit that my pool builder gave me. I have not taken my water to a pool store, not sure I will trust them to be honest.

New pool startup in AZ

Get the kit and test your own water. You can use pool math, at the bottom Effects of Adding Chem's. to give you an idea how much each puck is increasing your CYA level.

You DON'T want to over shoot that level.

well I guess I am going to have to buy the TF-100 sooner than later to get my CYA readings. I will buy it once I get home from work. I am on my 5th puck and my FC level is at 4, My PH is at 7.6 and my TA is 110. These are the readngs from the test kit that my pool builder gave me. I have not taken my water to a pool store, not sure I will trust them to be honest.
Assuming you pool is around 17k gallons, each puck raises the CYA by about 2ppm and the FC by 3.2ppm. Was there any stabilizer added during start up? If not, you are only up to around 10ppm on the CYA (and honestly I would be surprised that you still have a FC level of 4ppm). So, my guess is that stabilizer was added previously because if not, the sun would likely burn up the FC faster than the puck would be adding it.

Did You order the TF -100 ? If you didn't I recommend you do. When the kit comes test your CYA level. That's why you have to watch using the pucks till you know where that level is. Get the kit and post your test results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Went to the pool store today and got readings from them. (I am still waiting for my TF - 100 to show up)

FC - 3
TC - 3
CH - 210
CYA - 70
TA - 100
PH - 7.5

According to their test my CYA is a little high. They also said the my phosphates were high. I am guessing that is what they were told to push here. because everyone that goes there is told their phosphates are high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.