Gallons Calculation & First TF-100 Results

Feb 7, 2014
Recently purchased house (October 2013). It was a foreclosure and pool was dark green. Pool is fiberglass and installed in 1995. I hired someone to bring back water. In the process, we found 3 metal bar stools, a 25" tube TV with the tube shattered and various other items in the bottom of the pool. Water is crystal clear now. There are some rust stains here and there and the first 14" or so of the vertical wall in the deep end is stained brownish. Pool service tried a few different stain treatments without success. Might try working on the stains again in a few months - not a priority right now.

I still have a pool service while I learn from Pool School. I need assistance with gallons calculation. Each website I try gives a different result from 13k to about 18k. My pool is kidney bean shaped.

15' x 32' (Outer dimensions including coping band)
The first 9.5' are 3' deep x ~14' wide
The next 9 feet are 5'4" deep x ~ 14' wide
The final 10.5 feet are 7.5" x ~14' wide
There is a ledge about 3' down in the middle and deep portions of the pool

What would you estimate volume at?

My first attempt at TF-100
FC = 2
CC = 0.5
TC = 2.5
CH = 425
TA = 100
CYA = 40
Ph = 8.0​

Above the water line, the fiberglass is smooth, below the water line is rough, mild milkiness if I rub the walls below water line. My cartridge has a white film each time it is rinsed that leave white flakes in my grass.

Thanks for any input!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I would use about 16k as the volume. As you add chemicals and test ... see if you are hitting the target, if not adjust the volume until you do ... it is not very critical.

If the surface is rough and white I would guess you have calcium scaling as a result of the CH being a little high and likely the pH staying too high. You need to keep the pH in range to stop the scale from forming and if you keep it on the low side (7.0-7.4), with a lot of brushing, it should go away (think months ... not days).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.