Tonedeaf's Pool build

Jun 24, 2008
East of Dallas
Just wanted to post our new design after having read so many threads about others builds. We just signed a contract today and we are so excited.

Not a huge pool, about 14k gallons. 470 ft of pool with 88 perimeter. 485 ft of decking. Will have all Pentair equipment with the Intelliflo V3050 pump and 520 cartridge filter, Salt system, and a platinum cleaner. 7' wide waterfall, 3 benches and a ledge at entry. also includes 5 umbrella sleeves and a deck cannon. We also upgraded to a quartz plaster. We did a Smoky Sapphire Quartz. We still need to pick out our tiles.

Here is the final design. :D

PoolDesign2.jpg

Will post my pics of the build as it gets started. Nothing will happen except permits and financing for about 2 weeks.

Re: My new Pool build

The wooden deck is existing. I built it about 5 years ago. I also have a patio cover on the existing concrete slab patio. That lines up directly with the deck. The deck goes back about 10 feet on the side of the house which also has my shed on it aswell. I will take some pics of the existing yard for a better view of it.

Thanks.

Congratualtions!!!! The design is very nice and the waterfall is going to look awesome. A bit of advice-- Be patient with permiting and when your out of patience borrow some. We thought it would be 2 weeks as well and it has turned out to be over two months. The permits were finally approved today. We are scheduled for the big dig on the 7th hopefully!

Looks like a good plan and can't wait to see it.

We all love pics but it's better if you resize them to a size that fits on most monitors. 1024 X 768 like your poolstudio design picture is perfect.

Tonedeaf said:
The Mermaid Queen, here is a view of the deck and patio cover for reference. :D

100_1141.jpg

The pool design looks great! Would you mind sharing what your deck is made of and what products you use on it? I have a pathway of ipe deck tiles and I used BioWash Deck Oil but it has not held up well in my climate.

Vegasmom said:
The pool design looks great! Would you mind sharing what your deck is made of and what products you use on it? I have a pathway of ipe deck tiles and I used BioWash Deck Oil but it has not held up well in my climate.
Vegasmom, the deck is made of pressure treated lumber. We use Behr Premium Semi-Transparent Deck, Fence & Siding Weatherproofing Wood Stain on it. We need to apply it about every 3 years or so. Pressure wash it and reapply after the wood has dried and it is good for another couple years.

We miss Vegas. Lived there for 8 years before moving to Texas with work. Have a Capriotti's Italian sub with peppers and an In 'n Out Burger for us. :D

Thanks for the info! Funny, we almost moved to El Paso before we came out here. My dad was offered a job there but turned it down. No Capriotti's?! Oh man :shock: The Italian subs are the best. Had In-n-out yesterday :-D

Good luck with your pool build and post lots of pics!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Are you leaving that wood deck there? I would tear that sucker out and go with the same decking you are using around the pool and put some 6x6's or columns in and create a pergola to make a nice shade spot to sit under in that corner and look out into the pool area. Maybe some planting in the back of it if you did not want to cover right back into the corner. I think it would flow better with your design without the wood deck. Some food for thought.

Wanted to post some updated pics of our progress of our build. So much has been done in the short time since they started. Excavation was on July 25th.

Unfortunately the permits took longer than we had hoped. Permits took 4 weeks total to get done, which is too long in my eyes, and we had a 2 week vacation already booked. We did have the excavation completed the day we were leaving and that is all I have seen in person. The rest has been sent to me by a friend that was checking on progress and taking pics for us.

Here is some during excavation:

Excavation2.jpg

Excavation1.jpg

Next day the plumbing was started:

Plumbing.jpg

Then 2 days later plumbing completed and steel started:

PlumbingandSteel3.jpg

PlumbingandSteel2.jpg

Once steel was inspected,the next day Gunite was in. Amazing how fast they do this stage. My friend was at the house by 1030am and they were done and gone already.

Gunite1.jpg

Gunite2.jpg

Gunite3.jpg

A few days later we have Tile complete and the waterfall in progress aswell. Coping is today and tomorrow for completion. Electric was done today also.

Tile2.jpg

Tile3.jpg

Tile, Coping and the waterfall are completed. :)

Coping1.jpg

Coping2.jpg

Concrete decking was formed this morning. Will post pics later this evening.

Amazing how much of a mess the backyard is right now. Fencing will be able to be replaced very soon.
Can't stand looking at the ugly leaning rotting fence we have currently.

Not much has happened since they formed the deck and did the rebar for it. Had it inspected, along with the plumbing I think, and it did not pass. Notes on the inspection said "Static Test needs to be at 25 psf on 0." To be re-inspected today. Should have the decking poured tomorrow and the final cleaning started the next day. Talked to the superintendant yesterday aswell and he said we should have plaster by Friday next week. :goodjob:

Getting part of the fence replaced on Tuesday or Wednesday next week, city require a pre-plaster inspection which would include re-inspection of the fence, probably standard course of action I would assume.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.