MA Winter - New Pool Owner as well!

Aug 20, 2013
I am new to this forum…and I have been lurker as a new pool owner as of last August, I have a brand new 18x33 oval above ground pool, I live in Western Mass, yes winter has been brutal!!! I have been worried about my pool as well…I have taking every precaution with it, I built a retaining wall 33+ long because our property has a slight slope and then had to dig and build up, I had a landscaper and his dad who had 20+ years with drainage – so I put French drains all the way around my pool (had water puddling)… I have been checking on mine throughout the winter, and I was worried because my pool company that I bought it from said they don’t drain the pools below skimmer anymore and use an aqua door. Reasoning they said higher water level, less pull on cover/walls, etc. They closed it and I figure they are the experts on this… I was very diligent about pumping water off the cover until I no longer could because of freezing, and we have probably got at least 4-5 feet of snow over this past winter…and yup being a new pool owner I was out there with a snow broom trying to get some of snow off (others laugh at me who have had above ground pools for years, they said winter time they don’t even look at it and they have had their pools for years!!!), it was part of my contract for them to close and open my pool.

The one thing I noticed about mine was one of the uprights is not completely flushed against the wall its straight, but a little gap, below is a photo…this shouldn’t be this way right? I noticed this right when it was built…I didn’t say anything because I had a lot of issues – defective liner – defective chlorinator, etc. but I have to say after all the hassles the pool company took care of everything within 2-3 days, got water trucked in for me, etc. I have been lucky, they have wonderful customer service, as I already scheduled my opening date for right before memorial day, and I expressed my concern regarding the upright, and they are sending a crew out in April when everything is thawed to take a look at it so if anything needs to be done they can make sure I am up and running by the time I want it open.

I also made a “panic” call before all the snow, we had a ton of rain then froze right away I noticed icicles on pool wall, they sent their guy out ASAP as well as the owner of pool company called me to assure me it was fine, and not to worry through the winter and that I am covered for labor/parts for the first 5 years of my pool at 100% (after that it goes down to like 80% covered, 50%, etc)…

Thoughts on my upright? And here are photos of my build I thought you would like to see…

Attachments

• pool13.jpg
    pool13.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 51
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.