Pump Size

Hi guys...I'm just about to purchase my new pool kit and am just making a few last minute decisions. Pool is 18x36 kidney shape, 22000gallons. 30" hayward Pro Series 30" sand filter (2" top mount), and Summit SUM5 heat pump. I was going to purchase the Hayward Super Pro 2HP single speed pump but the salesman told me that the 1.5 HP is definitely sufficient for my set up. Do you guys agree, or would you recommend the 2HP super pump? I have no other features such as waterfall, slide, spa....just the pool.
Thanks as always for the help!

Hello,
A two speed is usually always recommended over a single speed for energy savings. It's always better to run on high when heating the water, with that said, some heat pumps you can adjust the pressure switch so it will run on low, or at least start on high and switch down to low.
Will you be using a cover at night? Otherwise it's like heating a house without a ceiling.

Looking forward to seeing your setup.

Are you recommending the Hayward TriStar full rate 1HP 2 speed pump? Or the Hayward Super II 1.5hp Max Rate 2 speed pump?

Either of those should work well. I'd probably go with the TriStar but I don't really have a convincing reason why.

You could try to run the heat pump on low and if it works, great. If it doesn't, just switch to high during the heating cycle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.