Valve question - Should "Filter" drain my pool?

Marl

Feb 25, 2014
Las Vegas
We've recently moved from Seattle to Las Vegas (talk about a welcome change of weather, gloomiest city in the US to probably the sunniest!) and our new house came with an inground pool:

Here's some shots of the filter/pump setup:

Everything turns on and operates without blowing up or bursting into flames, which I assume is a good thing. The valve was originally set to the "Backwash" setting.

I read up on pool equipment maintenance and found that I should change the valve over to the "Filter" setting, which I did, only to find that running the pump on that setting actually drains my pool. I don't know where the water goes.

Where should I start with this problem, if it indeed is a problem? Let me know if I need to provide any further information!

Never even thought the handle could have been on backwards! Is there any way to tell, or would that not be necessary?

And thanks for the tip; I was heading to Home Depot this weekend for pool supplies anyway, won't be an issue to pick up some DE while I'm there.

Never even thought the handle could have been on backwards! Is there any way to tell, or would that not be necessary?

And thanks for the tip; I was heading to Home Depot this weekend for pool supplies anyway, won't be an issue to pick up some DE while I'm there.
I would slowly go through each position and see that they're at least in the right sequence - water comes out the waste port when it's supposed to, etc. http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/VariFloMultiportValve-SP0715.pdf

If you haven't gotten around to reading up on care and feeding of DE filters, not that you should only add 80% of the fresh amount unless you've broken things down and physically cleaned the screens yourself. That might not be a bad idea, anyway, because that will give you an accurate baseline pressure.

It looks like the top of the multiport was replaced. There are 10 screws with lobes. One lobe has a flat spot that should match up with the flat spot lobe on the valve to make sure that the top is on correctly. The top can be reversed 180 if you reverse the handle. The handle can be reversed 180 by gently tapping out the pin and moving the handle 180. The pin is tapered, so it comes out easier one way than the other. Sometimes it doesn't want to come out easily. You can use it as it is. The back of the handle will point to the correct function.

It looks like the top is either on correctly or reversed 180 degrees. Either way will work. I would say that your options are:

1) Reverse handle. Or
2) Remove the 10 screws and rotate the entire top and handle 180 degrees. Or
3) If you don't want to change anything, just use it as is, knowing that the back of the handle points to the correct function. If you ever need to disassemble the valve to clean and lubricate it, you can put the handle on correctly then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.