tips on opening an extremely green gunite pool

etbrown4

Feb 24, 2012
I don't have the test readings on the water yet, but man do I have a green one this year!

Ideally I'd prefer to drain the water, however our water table is just a few feet below the ground surface.

Trying to vacuum this one will likely plug the sand filter in just a few seconds.

Curious what others have found to work with extreme algae upon opening.

Why not SLAM it ? If your water table is that high you would have to do a series of partial drains, fill which may use more water than a complete drain refill. A full drain sounds out of the question due to damaging the pool.

You would probably have to SLAM any how to make sure everything was killed off when it was filled back up.

Do you have one of our recommended test kits. ? If you do can you post up some test results to see where things stand.

Take a look at this. It can be done ! http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/3913-Turning-Your-Green-Swamp-Back-into-a-Sparkling-Oasis

Somebody else may have some better advice.

Alternative if you are set on draining it down. Drain from the bottom while filling from the top until you feel better about it. I sure wouldn't do a 1/3 or better drain------then play catch up. You'll still end up Slaming it. Are you sure the drain is even clear of debris?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.